cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault store partition

pdunnigan1
Level 4

I'm creating a new Vault Store Partition to replace my existing one. I have 2 EV servers one for archives and one for journaling. I currently have 2 vault stores, one for mailbox archives and one for journaling archives, I would be creating a new patition in each.

Question is , when I create the archive for the mailbox archive and put in a path of g:\archives, how does EV know that is on the mailbox server? same for the journaling server, that path could be k:\journals. 

Thanks

Pat

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi there,

A Vault Store is a logical container which has a Vault Store database containing the metadata about the archived data. The Vault Store is linked to the Storage service on a particular EV server. Each Vault Store has a number of Vault Store Partitions which are the physical locations on the EV server. This is where the archived data is actually written.

The archived data is logically grouped in archives. An archive, or vault, is a logical storage location for the archived items. Each mailbox has an archive associated with it which typically gets automatically created when a mailbox is enabled for archiving. 

Now, when creating a provisioning group, you have the option to specify a particular Vault Store or inherit the Vault Store from the Exchange server or the EV server. This is how EV decides on which Vault Store (and implicitly Vault Store Partition) an archive is stored. Note that if a Vault Sore is not set in any of these locations, mailboxes cannot be enabled.

For the journal archives, EV uses the Vault Store that was specified when the archive was created as part of the initial configuration.

Hope this helps.

--Virgil

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi there,

A Vault Store is a logical container which has a Vault Store database containing the metadata about the archived data. The Vault Store is linked to the Storage service on a particular EV server. Each Vault Store has a number of Vault Store Partitions which are the physical locations on the EV server. This is where the archived data is actually written.

The archived data is logically grouped in archives. An archive, or vault, is a logical storage location for the archived items. Each mailbox has an archive associated with it which typically gets automatically created when a mailbox is enabled for archiving. 

Now, when creating a provisioning group, you have the option to specify a particular Vault Store or inherit the Vault Store from the Exchange server or the EV server. This is how EV decides on which Vault Store (and implicitly Vault Store Partition) an archive is stored. Note that if a Vault Sore is not set in any of these locations, mailboxes cannot be enabled.

For the journal archives, EV uses the Vault Store that was specified when the archive was created as part of the initial configuration.

Hope this helps.

--Virgil