cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vaulted emails doubled in the Server

Tech100
Level 2

Hi,

EV emails doubled up in the server, 1 email as a vaulted one and another as normal one when try to open an email from outlook panel it points to the shortcut and open the vaulted email. I tried to restore that email where as it changes the icon but not restoring full email. 

I attached 2 images, this is how that email showing in the server. Both are same emails 1 is vaulted one and another is the full email. 

Any solution for this fix?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Your statement that you "restore" items "thru DocMessageClass" makes me think it is very likely that you have archived shortcut items as though they were normal items.

DocMessageClass doesn't actually restore the content of items. It just changes their Message Class property; the content remains the same. It won't magically turn your shortcuts into original items, but it will change their icon so they look like original items at first glance.

Since EV's archiving filter works based (partly) on message class, then your "restoring" items this way is very likely the reason that the shortcuts were archived again. So step one here is stop using DocMessageClass without a better understanding of what exactly it's doing.

The simplest way to fix this that I can think of is:

1) Use the VAC's Export Wizard to restore all items from the archive back to the mailbox

2) Use Outlook Advanced Find to search the entire mailbox for items with the text "This message has been archived. Please double-click the message to retrieve from the Vault" and delete them.

3) Wait for the items to be archived again. (Maybe temporarily shorten the age-based policy period if you want this to happen sooner.)

--Chris

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

Which Enterprise Vault version?

Can it be that in your Mailbox Policy, tab Archiving Actions, you checked "Create shortcut to archived items after archiving", but UNCHECKED "Delete original item after archiving"?

That's about the only thing I can think of. Seeing that they are not completely the same (1 = 6kb, the other being 3kb) it looks like the original is not being removed.

Regards. Gertjan

ChrisLangevin
Level 6
Employee

While the description is not really that clear, the screenshots look like we're looking at EV Search, and you have somehow managed to archive EV's shortcut content in addition to the original message.

One way this could happen is if you changed the message class of your EV shortcuts to IPM.Note (for instance, using a utility like DocMessageClass). This would cause the archiving task to see the shortcuts as archivable items and try to archive them.

The shortcut copies should all contain the text "This message has been archived. Please double-click the message to retrieve from the Vault." Thus you should be able to use EV Search to find all items with this text and delete them.

Based on the common use cases for message class alteration tools, I suspect this is not affecting all users, so it should not be too painful to search and delete in the affected archive(s).

--Chris

Tech100
Level 2

Hi,

We using EV 11 and this is happening for just 1 user at this moment, Whats realy happening as below.

1) The shortcut added to the archive, where as, in the archive I can see shortcut and original email for every email.

2) In the mailbox it points to the shortcut and when user try to open it it opens the shortcut only.

3) When they restore that email, it restore and change the icon to IPM.Note  but it points to the shortcut so this is not restoring the original email.

4) When I restart the EV services and restore it thru DocMessageClass it doing the same where as the icon changes to normal email but still the message content remains as archive shortcut.

I delete few shortcuts and download the original email and put it back for the temp fix but 1000s of emails like this, any solution?

Your statement that you "restore" items "thru DocMessageClass" makes me think it is very likely that you have archived shortcut items as though they were normal items.

DocMessageClass doesn't actually restore the content of items. It just changes their Message Class property; the content remains the same. It won't magically turn your shortcuts into original items, but it will change their icon so they look like original items at first glance.

Since EV's archiving filter works based (partly) on message class, then your "restoring" items this way is very likely the reason that the shortcuts were archived again. So step one here is stop using DocMessageClass without a better understanding of what exactly it's doing.

The simplest way to fix this that I can think of is:

1) Use the VAC's Export Wizard to restore all items from the archive back to the mailbox

2) Use Outlook Advanced Find to search the entire mailbox for items with the text "This message has been archived. Please double-click the message to retrieve from the Vault" and delete them.

3) Wait for the items to be archived again. (Maybe temporarily shorten the age-based policy period if you want this to happen sooner.)

--Chris