cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verifying that Enterprise Vault does NOT automatically vault Exchange 2007 UM voicemail messages

worldzfree
Level 4
I have been tasked with making sure all Exchange 2007 UM voicemail messages are excluded from our vault policies. The message class of a voicemail is:

IPM.Note.Microsoft.Voicemail.UM.CA

or

IPM.Note.Microsoft.Voicemail.UM

Our current vault policies have IPM.Note* enabled.  How do make sure these items are NOT vaulted?

Forgot to mention.  We are running Vault 7.5sp4

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner
Hello again Worldzfree

Actually the Journal Mailbox is just another mailbox that is being processed by the Journaling Task instead of the Mailbox Archiving Task, however the message classes that are being excluded should be picked up properly by the Journaling Task even though the excludes are set on the Mailbox archiving policy.

Do a search of the journal archive to see if any of the UM messages ended up being archived.  They shouldn't be, but if they are a simple rule, in the Journal Mailbox can send those messages to the deleted items folder in the Journal Mailbox and then they won't get archived.

Otherwise a custom filter may have to be created to prevent the archiving of that specific message class.

Judy Glazier

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

You can add both of those message classes to EV but don't select them for archiving. So though you have IPM.Note* those particular ones will not be archived because you haven't selected them for archiving.

Mike

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner
Enterprise Vault does automatically archive IPM.Note* so that would currently include your IPM.Note.Microsoft.Voicemail.UM or IPM.Note.Microsoft.Voicemail.UM

In the Vault Console at the Directory Level, go into the Properties and click on the Exchange Message Classes.

Click on the Add and type in the Class window the IPM.Note.Microsoft.Voicemail and select OK.

That will make this Exchange Message Class Available to set up to not archive.

Now go under Policies in the Console and Select Exchange  Mailbox Policy, go into the Properties and click on Message Classes.  Ensure that your new message class is there and not ticked so that it will not be archived.

You will have to go into all the Mailbox Polices you are using to make sure that message class is not ticked.

Judy Glazier

Aaron_Mears
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
You did state that you wanted to prohibit it from policy based (automatic) archiving, but as a side note you can't prohibit the end-user from doing a "Store in Vault" of UM in the version of EV you are running.  There is some documentation about adding a registry key that would extend this functionality, but it did not work for us.  We were told that you need EV 8.0.

HKLM\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Agents
DWORD Value: ManualArchiveMessageClassCheck
Value data: 1

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
The registry key to make sure the client can only archive the things you've specified in your policy was added as part of EV 7 and it is in EV 2007.  It was added to the _documentation_ in EV 8 SP 1.  If you've not got it working, please contact support, and they can take it from there with regards to troubleshooting.

Thanks
Rob Wilcox
EV Engineering Support
Working for cloudficient.com

Aaron_Mears
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
Not sure if it is related to the fact that UM is a subset of IPM.Note, but support said it was a bug...fixed in EV8.  I sent you a PM.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
 Hi Aaron,

Yes thanks for the PM, I had a look and it does look like there is a problem pre EV 8 with EXCLUDES.. so in the end it might depend how you had the policy setup, I'm not sure whether or not it would be worth trying some different combinations and some testing to see if it is possible to rejig the policies to make sure that there is no way to do it pre EV 8.

Thanks
Rob Wilcox
EV Engineering Support
Working for cloudficient.com

worldzfree
Level 4
"Now go under Policies in the Console and Select Exchange Mailbox Policy, go into the Properties and click on Message Classes. Ensure that your new message class is there and not ticked so that it will not be archived.

You will have to go into all the Mailbox Polices you are using to make sure that message class is not ticked."

Is there a way to prevent the Journal Policy from archiving them as well?  I didn't see the Message Classes option under the Journal Policy.

worldzfree
Level 4
"Now go under Policies in the Console and Select Exchange Mailbox Policy, go into the Properties and click on Message Classes. Ensure that your new message class is there and not ticked so that it will not be archived.

You will have to go into all the Mailbox Polices you are using to make sure that message class is not ticked."

Is there a way to prevent the Journal Policy from archiving them as well? I didn't see the Message Classes option under the Journal Policy.

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner
Hello again Worldzfree

Actually the Journal Mailbox is just another mailbox that is being processed by the Journaling Task instead of the Mailbox Archiving Task, however the message classes that are being excluded should be picked up properly by the Journaling Task even though the excludes are set on the Mailbox archiving policy.

Do a search of the journal archive to see if any of the UM messages ended up being archived.  They shouldn't be, but if they are a simple rule, in the Journal Mailbox can send those messages to the deleted items folder in the Journal Mailbox and then they won't get archived.

Otherwise a custom filter may have to be created to prevent the archiving of that specific message class.

Judy Glazier

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I just performed a test with the registry key added. When I manually archive a voicemail, the icon changes to the pending archive and then back to the voicemail icon. I expected a notification telling the user that policy prevents them from archiving this type of message but I guess the end result is the same.

EV8 SP1, Exchange 2007 SP1, Outlook 2007 SP1, Cisco Unity Voicemail

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi there

Do you need any more assistance on this subject?
If not, could you please mark the solution to your Problem with the "Mark As Solution" Button?

Thanks & Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.