cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version of EV not updated in VAC & SQL after upgrade?

Sarah_Seftel1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I upgraded a 7 ev servers environment a year ago from version 8 to 9.

While in the VAC i go to help - about and see that the version is 9, in VAC when I stand on servers container, It still says version 8.
Since it's coming from SQL, I wonder - why it didn't vhange?

Can I change it manually in SQL?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Here is the related technote, it refers to MSFT Cluster but the solution is the same.

After upgrading Enterprise Vault nodes in a Microsoft Cluster Server, registry values revert to pre-upgrade values

Article:TECH70138  |  Created: 2009-01-30  |  Updated: 2011-03-10  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70138

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Do a:

Select * from ComputerEntry

And see what comes back for the software version.

Working for cloudficient.com

Sarah_Seftel1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Rob,

you can see in my original question the print screen of the SQL computerentry.

it results in V8.0, while in the servers I go to help about - and get V9.0.2 which was the version we upgraded to.

My guess is that it's something in  the upgrade process that skipped the update of those SQL rows.

It's a veritas cluster environment...

I know for sure I'm working on version 9.0.2, just want to understand why the SQL won't change as well...

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

huh, thats pretty odd,
So quick question, if you go to the EV Install dir of one of the "V8" servers and you go to the properties of one of the dll's, what version does itt give in the version tab?

It's probably just an aesthetic problem otherwise you'd be getting errors all over the place
but unfortunately since it happened so long ago and we probably dont have any log files or event logs its impossible to tell what might or might not have happened.

I couldnt find any reference to this issue anywhere else, you could try giving support a call to see if they know anything

And yeah, you can update that and its not going to affect anything

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Sarah_Seftel1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

dll version are 9.0.2 smiley

Sarah_Seftel1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

BTW - my guess is that this it is something that goes along with the Veritas Cluster.

all the EV servers that are part of the veritas cluster still shows V8 on VAC, those who are not a part of the veritas cluster shows version 9.

TonySterling

There was an issue when upgrading a cluster that the Registry would revert back to pre-upgrade when the cluster was brought online.  What is the version in the Registry for those VCS nodes?

JesusWept3
Level 6
Ug, yeah I remember that, sorry!!
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Sarah_Seftel1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Well... in the registry it does show 8.0.4 blush

any way to fix this?

I'm thinking of what will be the results of DR all the servers to a new 64bit R2 servers.

will it affect my work if version installed is 9.0.2 and registry is 8.0.4?

Sarah.

Jeff_Shotton
Level 6

Well you could always first run the binaries again on the systems affected to upgrade the registry (I've always done this in the past if there were these issues like this directly after the initial upgrade) . The dll registration and the database upgrade is already done, so it is a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but you should be done in 30 min or so.

If you do a DR to another server, I guess what matters is how you do the DR! Obviously you DON'T want to merge the registry settings directly across.

No idea if the server state migration wizard will barf when it examines the box with the registry in that state.

Regards,

Jeff

TonySterling

Here is the related technote, it refers to MSFT Cluster but the solution is the same.

After upgrading Enterprise Vault nodes in a Microsoft Cluster Server, registry values revert to pre-upgrade values

Article:TECH70138  |  Created: 2009-01-30  |  Updated: 2011-03-10  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70138

Sarah_Seftel1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

this is such a nightmare solution...

I have 15 nodes on that cluster, and 50,000 active users...

it took us months to get approval for the upgrade downtime, no chance we will be able to schedule it again...

well, I guess we'll just switch straight to the DR to R2 servers...

thanks for that Tony!