cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Via Explorer Placeholder won't open document, Search Vault can open document

Paultje
Level 3
Hi,
We have started in production (actualy the same server as the testserver) file-archiving. During the testperiod we had no problems (all solved). No we started really archiving a lot of data and we get 1 strange problem.
All archived files are replaced with placeholders. If I try to open a document using the Explorer, the application (Word) starts but after a short while get an error message: Documentname of path invalid, check the rights of the document or the station, or try to open using the Open file diaolog, followed by the path to the document. (sorry translated is from Dutch to English).
When I try the Search Vault icon in my Outlook client I can find and open the document. Even when I use archiveexplorerui.asp I'm able to open the document. So the rights are OK I guess. What can be wrong? The users are instructed to use the regular Explorer.

Paul
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paultje
Level 3
It takes forever to get help from Symantec support, all just by mail. When I phoned the person who answered the phone promissed me an engineer would call back, mostly the day after, once even the same day, BUT NO, no engineer talked to me and I had just a few emails.....
Last weekend I had the oppertunity to reboot the cluster servers several times, and finally, after the 3rd or 4th reboot I was able to open the placeholder without problems. So my problem is solved, but what the cause of this all was I still don't know.
Thanks for all the advice and I hope this forum will help me next time again, because the support desk........

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Are there any eventlog entries on the fileserver?

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Paultje
Level 3

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Enterprise Vault
Event Category: File Placeholder Service
Event ID: 20491
Date:  4/9/2009
Time:  3:59:25 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: NTDHCL01C
Description:
deleted text (path to placeholder)
http://servername/EnterpriseVault/download.asp?VaultID=1E978649D67EF9140BF627C8C04FBF9081110000evaul...
Error Unspecified error  [0x80004005]

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
What version of EV?

Does this happen to all placeholders?

There was an issues for placeholders created with EV 6 when you upgrade to EV 2007 and a tool was created to update them.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290116.htm

MichelZ
Level 6
Could you DTrace the EvPlaceholderService ?

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
 Can you login to the FileServer as the vault service account and put this link into IE.

http://servername/EnterpriseVault/download.asp?VaultID=1E978649D67EF9140BF627C8C04FBF9081110000evaultdh&SavesetId=124400000000000~200304280739560000~0~508A0FAE082444229A88668C750FEA4&Request=NativeItem&EVHeaders=1

Does that work? Does it ask for a login and password?  Or does it just download?

May be your IE proxy settings.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
seening that he left the ComputerName in the event i doubt he cahnged http://servername/EnterpriseVault

Paultje, did you replace youer servers name with "servername"?

--wayne

Paultje
Level 3
Hi all,
thanks for all the responses.

Tony: we are running version 2007 7.5 and we didn't upgrade from version 6.

MichelZ: I'm running the dtrace what should i look for to report here?

John: when I use the url as EV-admin on the fileserver (w2k3) i need to login on and give password. After that i get the http 400 - bad request IE-message

Wayne: servername? For this article I removed the name we're using.  The servername for EV is different than the enviromental name of EV.

I hope you'll be responding so that I can fix my problem.

Thanks to all.

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
 If you can't download from the fileserver, and from that error, sounds like you have a IE Proxy setup - can you check IE settings whilst logged in as the vault service account.  You may need to exclude the EV server from Proxy settings - better still just make sure all the check boxes are unchecked.

Also check the Intranet Zone settings - make sure the EV server is in the list, and you have automatic logon checked.

Another test is - can you put that link into IE on the EV server - again does it download with no prompts?

Paultje
Level 3
Hi John,
If I try the link in IE on the EV-server, it will open the document. I cannot get it working on the fileserver.
The problem doesn't seem to be IE, but the normal Windows Explorer. When I use the Explorer to open an archived item, it goes wrong. If I use the Search Vault button in Outlook or the archiveexplorerui.asp in IE it's working.
Any other idea?

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
 Why I got you to test in IE is because the placeholder service when it recalls a file uses HTTP to download the file to the file server.

Again, try what I have said above - if you can't get it working, suggest logging a case with Support.

Paultje
Level 3

Hi John,

Indeed we have ISA proxy running. I "excluded" the proxy settings and hardcoded the EV-servers in the local intranet sites and it's working on the file-server. I just need to try it from a normal client.
The users work on thin clients, using Citrix as working environment. So i need to change settings that will include the EV-servers to the local network?

MichelZ
Level 6
Paul No, this is not necessary on the user's workstations if you only use file-archiving. The user's explorer requests the file from the fileserver, the fileserver then requests the file from the EV Server, so no direct interaction between EV Server and the Client. However, if you implement e-mail archiving, too, you will need to have the EV-servers in the intranet sites of the clients. Cheers Michel

Paultje
Level 3
John,
The user works from a "local" explorer (not ie) to open an archived item. It still doesn't work. When I use the vault service account on a different server, it also wouldn't open the file, just the application, even after i chaaanged the IE-settings.
Which account is used (automatically) from the file server to open the file? The vault service account?
And yes we are archiving our mail, and have almost no problems with opening archived items there. As i wrote before, when we search using the Search Vaults button, we can open the emails and archived files. As well as using http://evserver/enterprisevault/archiveexplorerui.asp
SO i am getting a bit confused. Where do i need to change and using which account, so all users caaaan click from the normal Explorer to a placeholder to open the archived file?

Paul

ps. sorry for me asking to simplify all, having a bad week....;-)

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
 When you changed the proxy settings in IE on the file server - were you logged in as the Vault Service Account?  If after you do this - do you still get a login prompt to download the file from IE with the link?  If you do then again, this is not setup correctly - it should work OK from any workstation if you can download the file from IE on the file server whilst logged in as the vault service account.

And yes I do understand what you mean by explorer and not IE - I am getting you to test in IE for 2 reasons:-

1. The placeholder services uses HTTP calls to download the file to the fileserver from the EV server when a user opens a placeholder.
2. It's easier to understand and see what is happening from IE.

Again if it doesnt work, I suggest logging a case with Support so we can go through it further.

Paultje
Level 3
Hi,

I reported my problem at Symantec's helpdesk, and I am still waiting to be contacted. Even yesterday, when i phoned to inquire to the status of my problem, the woman at the phone said that the engineer would phone back the next day (today). Is it always like this, waiting for a engineer to phone back?
Case # 281 580 824 filed on April 28th, by phone.

MichelZ
Level 6
Have you got any news here?

Paultje
Level 3
It takes forever to get help from Symantec support, all just by mail. When I phoned the person who answered the phone promissed me an engineer would call back, mostly the day after, once even the same day, BUT NO, no engineer talked to me and I had just a few emails.....
Last weekend I had the oppertunity to reboot the cluster servers several times, and finally, after the 3rd or 4th reboot I was able to open the placeholder without problems. So my problem is solved, but what the cause of this all was I still don't know.
Thanks for all the advice and I hope this forum will help me next time again, because the support desk........

MichelZ
Level 6
Thanks for the feedback!
Try opening a case with "Severity 1", this often helps to get the engineers on the phone... ;)
(But of course only do it with serious problems - I'd consider this one serious)

Cheers, and have a great day!

/Michel