cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Vault / Vault Cache and limited space machines

Chuck_Ford
Level 4

I have a few questions here - hopefull all related....

1.  Does the vault cache limit (i.e 1GB) apply to just the content cache... or could a very large MDC file also have less than complete data?

2.  Although there's a 1GB minimum VC setting on the client, what happens when the Desktop VC policy is set to 10% free space and the machine only has 1GB total free?  This makes question 1 a more likely scenario since 100MB isn't even enough to fit a single MDC file for most mailboxes in our environment.

3.  I've seen a thread about setting VC properties per machine (for the same mailbox) and I completely agree that Symantec needs to address this ASAP.  Like many customers, we have many users of Citrix/TS/Virtual Desktop/Regular Desktop/Laptops.... all with the likely possibility of needing to apply the VC policy differently depending on the client they are on that day.

4.  Lastly, there's a strong desire for an easy way for a user to know if there primary mailbox content cache is complete or not... since that reflects on whether or not they should trust their search results, or if they need to use the search.asp page.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
For the first two questions, I think the best thing you can do is just test this yourself as it'd have to be what anyone else does unless they already know from experience, however with vv and vc everyone is still finding their feet, so to speak as for the other questions, can't you set policies for citrix etc via login scripts and use the registry keys to override the policies? And especially with citrix you wouldn't want vault cache anyway, so keeping outlook in non cached mode and keeping the offline store a requirement for vc be the easiest option, that and I doubt you'd want you lr citrix users to have 500mb of mdc and db's each as for the content cache being complete, some users with hundreds of thousands of items archived, it's doubtful their cache would ever complete
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

JesusWept3
Level 6
For the first two questions, I think the best thing you can do is just test this yourself as it'd have to be what anyone else does unless they already know from experience, however with vv and vc everyone is still finding their feet, so to speak as for the other questions, can't you set policies for citrix etc via login scripts and use the registry keys to override the policies? And especially with citrix you wouldn't want vault cache anyway, so keeping outlook in non cached mode and keeping the offline store a requirement for vc be the easiest option, that and I doubt you'd want you lr citrix users to have 500mb of mdc and db's each as for the content cache being complete, some users with hundreds of thousands of items archived, it's doubtful their cache would ever complete

Chuck_Ford
Level 4
Symantec needs to document how the limits work - regarding the MDC files, and then I confirm in testing.

As far as as policy options go, in a large environment such as ours, it's not so easy to change login scripts/registry settings since there are other a number of distinct support teams involved with testing requirements/change schedules, etc...

Your last sentence just confirms why we need a quick way to check on the status of the content cache (the 4th question).

Thanks for your feedback!

JesusWept3
Level 6
yeah but then how do you communicate to your users that it would never ever complete the cache?

bc9ams
Level 3
Perhaps something that I can get around to testing myself, but do you know how Virtual Vault / Vault Cache works on Citrix by default? i.e. does it detect Citrix/TS/Non-Cached mode Outlook and just disable itself even though VV/VC is enabled in the policy?

I've tried disabling it though the registry, and although it initially disables it, the user can still re-enable it from the menu.

Jason_G
Level 4
Certified

hi there, just to clarify, what exactly is this vault cache limit?..is it basically that you have to have a minimum cache of 1gb in size? or have I got that wrong?...we are looking at upgrading from 7.5 SP3 to 8SP4 and this would be useful to know

Thanks in advance

EVHolic
Level 5
Partner Certified
Citrix - All does anyone have experience with citrix users with virtual vault, as stated by bc9ams above? We would like the VV to be disable when a user connects through Citrix, though its in their policy.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Can you run a login script when the user logs on to the Citrix machine?  If so you could disable OV/VV/VC then.   Or... there is a policy setting which determines whether you need an "Offline Store" in order to be able to enable VC/VV...  On Citrix (well I think) you can't create an OST file, so you don't have an offline store, so you wouldn't get VC/VV.  I mean you'd need to set "Offline store required" to "yes".
Working for cloudficient.com

Chuck_Ford
Level 4
That's how we are implementing this for now.  We can't use the "Offline store require" set to "yes" since that would also prevent using VC on their local PC and/or laptop if they use Online mode for Exchange.  We don't see an end user option to enble the VC on their own when the login script disables it initially by a Registry Value.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I think that's your only option then Chuck.

JosephRodgers
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Chuck,

1. MDC is NOT checked for total vault store size (ovstoresize).  The MDC will always build to completeness otherwise items would not display in the VV at all.

2.  VC uses GB limits.  Min size (if >0) is 1GB.  If workstation has <1GB free than VC will use all available space if needed

-Joe

Korbyn
Level 5
Partner Accredited
I'm probably wrong, but once upon a time I thought the HTTP-only Add-in didnt' support the Vault Cache?  So far though the only documentation  i could find about the difference between the HTTP only and full client are the tabs. 

If it were true though, then the HTTP only client could be what's installed on citrix.

With regards to modifing the registry for the logon, are you talking about disablePSTgrow for the HKEY\User? or what registry setting are you refering to that would disable VV/VC on citrix?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
The HTTP and full client both support Vault Cache....