Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Vault/Vault Cache crashes Outlook

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hi,

we recently updated to SP4 for EV v8.0.

I now have the task to test the Virtual Vault feature. My Workstation has Windows 7, Outlook 2007 and ofc the recent EV Client.

First, Virtual Vault did run fine. I then started to test with the Offline Store required yes/no, Enable Vault Cache automaticall yes/no options.
However, i seem to broken my virtual vault cache now. Archive Explorer is still working flawless.

I am able to open the Virtual Vault and i am also able to open one to three items and retrieve them from the vault.
Then, the operation seems to time out and i get the following information displayed: http://img1.uploadscreenshot.com/images/orig/5/13608494031-orig.jpg
When i continue clicking items in the virtual vault, Outlook crashes completly and i have to shut it down with the taskmanager.

//Edit: I should probably translate the message from the screenshot :)
It says: Enterprise Vault cannot retrieve the archived item. You have aborted the retrieval of the item.

However, the other workstation where i have rolled out virtual vault doesnt seems to have any problems (which is oddly enough).

What i have tried already:

- ResetEV Client
- Enable/Disable Exchange Caching Mode (with the Option in the Desktop Polixy set accordingly)
- Reset the Vault Cache
- Reset my Mailprofil
- Reset the OST File

Any other suggestions or ideas why this is happening?

greetings

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This is the hotfix you need:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/352045.htm

Hotfix for Enterprise Vault (EV) 8.0 SP4 Outlook Add-in

Details:

To which versions of Symantec Enterprise Vault (tm) can this Hotfix be applied?
This Hotfix includes the install kit for all supported language versions of the EV8.0 SP4 Outlook Add-in:

Enterprise Vault 8.0 SP4

What issue does this hotfix resolve?
  • When Entrust is installed, the EV Outlook HTTP client may crash when attempting a manual archive or restore, causing an access violation exception (0xC0000005).
  • Outlook cannot start properly if the EVSERVERS value has greater than 1024 characters and the EV add-in will be disabled.
  • When the age limit setting is applied on the Vault Cache, downloading items older than the age limit can make Outlook unresponsive.

Which file(s) does this Hotfix replace?
This Hotfix replaces the entire EV Outlook Add-in.
File name: Symantec Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-in-XX.msi   (XX indicates the language for the installation package)

How to install this Hotfix:
To manually install the EV Outlook Add-in:
1. Close Outlook.
2. Install the appropriate language Client installation package provided in this document.
3. Restart Outlook.

Alternate deployment methods may be found in the Setting up Exchange Server Archiving document located in the Documentation folder of the EV installation media.  Please see the Related Documents section below for a link to all EV documentation.

How to uninstall this Hotfix:
1. Close Outlook.
2. Install the appropriate language Client installation from the EV8.0 SP4 installation media.
3. Restart Outlook.

Download Now  -  61370 K
File Name: EV8.0.4_Cumulative_Client_Hotfix_352045.zip
File Type: Patch

Regards,

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Amit_Gupta
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
What other Outlook addins are running on problematic desktop? Can you disable them?
Do you have exch system manager/mgmt. console installed on desktop?
Turn on client logging and see if you can see anything there.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This is the hotfix you need:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/352045.htm

Hotfix for Enterprise Vault (EV) 8.0 SP4 Outlook Add-in

Details:

To which versions of Symantec Enterprise Vault (tm) can this Hotfix be applied?
This Hotfix includes the install kit for all supported language versions of the EV8.0 SP4 Outlook Add-in:

Enterprise Vault 8.0 SP4

What issue does this hotfix resolve?
  • When Entrust is installed, the EV Outlook HTTP client may crash when attempting a manual archive or restore, causing an access violation exception (0xC0000005).
  • Outlook cannot start properly if the EVSERVERS value has greater than 1024 characters and the EV add-in will be disabled.
  • When the age limit setting is applied on the Vault Cache, downloading items older than the age limit can make Outlook unresponsive.

Which file(s) does this Hotfix replace?
This Hotfix replaces the entire EV Outlook Add-in.
File name: Symantec Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-in-XX.msi   (XX indicates the language for the installation package)

How to install this Hotfix:
To manually install the EV Outlook Add-in:
1. Close Outlook.
2. Install the appropriate language Client installation package provided in this document.
3. Restart Outlook.

Alternate deployment methods may be found in the Setting up Exchange Server Archiving document located in the Documentation folder of the EV installation media.  Please see the Related Documents section below for a link to all EV documentation.

How to uninstall this Hotfix:
1. Close Outlook.
2. Install the appropriate language Client installation from the EV8.0 SP4 installation media.
3. Restart Outlook.

Download Now  -  61370 K
File Name: EV8.0.4_Cumulative_Client_Hotfix_352045.zip
File Type: Patch

Regards,

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi

no, no unusual Addins activated in Outlook. Even though, Archive Explorer and every other operation with the EV seems to work, except virtual vault/vault cache.

I enabled Client Trace - show Errors and re-enact the problem (clicking items in the Virtual Vault) 4 times

This is what i got:

First try:

17/05/2010 13:29:19.163: EVMSP: Log file created (level 0).

17/05/2010 13:29:19.165: EVMSP: <Hotfixes/Updates> [Common::GetFullItem] Failed to obtain message from the CC: A COM error exception has been caught:80010105

17/05/2010 13:29:23.485: EVMSP: <Hotfixes/Updates> [Common::GetFullItem] Failed to obtain message from the CC: A COM error exception has been caught:80010105

Crash.

Second try:

17/05/2010 13:25:23.141: EVMSP: Log file created (level 0).

17/05/2010 13:25:23.142: EVMSP: <Posteingang> [Common::GetFullItem] Failed to obtain message from the CC: A COM error exception has been caught:80010105

17/05/2010 13:25:24.228: EVMSP: <MSLogon> [Common::GetFullItem] Failed to obtain message from the CC: A COM error exception has been caught:80010105

17/05/2010 13:25:24.245: EVMSP: <Posteingang> [Common::GetFullItem] Failed to obtain message from the CC: A COM error exception has been caught:80010105

17/05/2010 13:25:24.269: EVMSP: <MSLogon> [Common::GetFullItem] Failed to obtain message from the CC: A COM error exception has been caught:80010105

17/05/2010 13:25:24.277: EVMSP: <Posteingang> [Common::GetFullItem] Failed to obtain message from the CC: A COM error exception has been caught:80010105

17/05/2010 13:25:24.286: EVMSP: <Posteingang> [Common::GetFullItem] Failed to obtain message from the CC: A COM error exception has been caught:80010105

17/05/2010 13:25:25.307: EVMSP: <Posteingang> [Common::GetFullItem] Failed to obtain message from the CC: A COM error exception has been caught:80010105

Crash.

Third try, informational Log:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2049000/ev_client_log_20100517153349.txt

Where following is interesting:

17/05/2010 13:34:17.276[4376]: EVMSP: <IT 2010: neue Aufgaben – neue Konzepte> [Common::GetLastError] Last error was NoAccess which can have multiple reasons many of which are quite normal for the EVMSP ranging from policy denying writable operations to the fact that archived items cannot be modified. If necessary, check more detailed EVMSP logging for the actual reason that the error was returned to the caller.
(How to check more detailed EVMSP logging?)

17/05/2010 13:34:17.279[4376]: EVMSP: <IT 2010: neue Aufgaben – neue Konzepte> [Common::GetLastError] Returning text: Sie verfügen nicht über die Berechtigung, diesen Enterprise Vault-Vorgang auszuführen.
(Translation: You dont have enough rights to complete this enterprise vault operation)

4. Try:
Verbose log with virtual vault (gets quite frustrating to scoll throught without knowing what to search for): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2049000/ev_client_log_20100517153831.txt

Still, i can access every item from the above logs within the Archive Explorer without any problems.

//Edit:

Found a related KB Article
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/348006.htm

S
till, according to this article the issue was addressed in SP4, which we have installed..

//Edit2

Alright... found my solution. Seems like reinstalling the hotfixed Client fixed the issue. Still no clue why this was happening... :)

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I can confirm that is definitely fixed in the hotfix that tony published as that fix was generated from a case I had with symc where we saw the exact same issues
with that hotfix, despite my best attempts, i was unable to reproduce the issue, remove the hotfix and i could repro it quite easily
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
I agree with Tony and Alex..  try the 8 SP 4 hotfix (it wasn't included in EV 8 SP 4)
Working for cloudficient.com

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Well, i got promised that my first installed client was the hotifxed one...(didnt downloaded it myself).
After this topic here i downloaded the hotfixed client myself and "re"-installed it. You get the idea, maybe thats why my problem is gone now ;)

Still thanks for all your help!