cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Vault - White Papers

Glenn_Martin
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I've just posted an article on our Blog here http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/virtual-vault-best-practice-overview-white-papers

There are now a couple of papers available on this topic and since there's a lot of discussion on this forum on this topic I'm sure many of you will want to read throught these docs.

Enjoy
Glenn
1 REPLY 1

JosephRodgers
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Glenn,

Great white paper, thank you.  I'd like to discuss a couple of things.

1.  In regard to this statement: 

"If you already allow manual archiving using the Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-in, there may be little or no additional impact generated as manual archiving is already in use. Ultimately there is little difference between the two operations, apart from the aforementioned safety copies generated by manually archiving an item, and the underlying mechanism used to perform the archiving operation. "

Although the end result is the same (a message is archived) isn't there a significant difference in the source of the archive message?  With manual archive the client initiates the action but the item is archvied from the Exchange server whereas with VirtualVault drag and drop the message must be uploaded from the client.  Putting aside the small risk of data loss which you have already covered do you think there are any concerns with enterprise network users regularly using drag and drop to upload many messages?  Isn't this connection more likely to be slower than the manual archive process from Exchange?

2. In regards to this statement:

"With the uptake of 64bit architecture (both hardware and software) by some customers, the previous restrictions on the amount of memory on a server is not as restricted as it once was. This means that the theoretical number of concurrent Indexserver.exe processes able to be spawned safely on a server is higher than that of their 32bit counterparts. This in turn means that the number of Indexserver.exe processes for initial synchronization operations can also theoretically be increased18."

Would you consider the benefits of multiple indexserver.exe processes in a properly sized server to recommend 64bit over 32bit for EV server OS?

Thank you
Joe