Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Vault cache requirement?

Mark_Shoger
Level 4
Employee

Hi all,

We're getting ready to begin the rollout of Virtual Vault to some test users, and the question came up as to how we deal with Citrix and/or thin client users?

Obviously these users don't have a local drive to cache to, but we have enough users that do that we are reluctant to alter the cache location.

On top of that, if we were to make the roaming profile drive the cache location, that would expand our storage requirements but a very unreasonable amount, assuming the 2GB default cache.

So my questions are:

- How are folks dealing with VV and thin client / Citrix users?

- Is there an impact to setting the vault cache very small, say 50MB, if you do allow the cache on the network?

Any other advice on this would be appreciated.

v/r,

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

if you insist on having Virtual Vault for citrix users, i would suggest setting it to headers only, however even then you are probably going to breach the 50mb limit for users with a lot of email archived.

The limit to the size of the cache is really based on the full email content downloaded, so the MDC could still be 500MB if they have lots and lots and lots of email downloaded and there is nothing you can do to limit that size as to limit that would be to limit the representation of Virtual Vault with in outlook itself.

Some things to also consider as well is that PST files across the network are not supported by microsoft really, and PST files are exactly what drives the MDC and the DB files that sit behind.

To be honest though, the majority of companies won't roll out offline vault, vault cache or virtual vault really because of the size limitations and that VC/VV is meant more for mobile users and citrix users are static, it would be advised to keep them using the more traditional AE/Search configurations.

But if you can't do that then content header only configurations for Vault Cache would be your best bet.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JesusWept3
Level 6

if you insist on having Virtual Vault for citrix users, i would suggest setting it to headers only, however even then you are probably going to breach the 50mb limit for users with a lot of email archived.

The limit to the size of the cache is really based on the full email content downloaded, so the MDC could still be 500MB if they have lots and lots and lots of email downloaded and there is nothing you can do to limit that size as to limit that would be to limit the representation of Virtual Vault with in outlook itself.

Some things to also consider as well is that PST files across the network are not supported by microsoft really, and PST files are exactly what drives the MDC and the DB files that sit behind.

To be honest though, the majority of companies won't roll out offline vault, vault cache or virtual vault really because of the size limitations and that VC/VV is meant more for mobile users and citrix users are static, it would be advised to keep them using the more traditional AE/Search configurations.

But if you can't do that then content header only configurations for Vault Cache would be your best bet.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

In your login script, when users logon to citrix, set the registry key: ovenabled.

Set it to 0 (see Registry guide pdf)

This prevents users from being able to enable VV on citrix. Obviously, when logging on to their desktop, you should NOT set the key, as they then cannot get VC/VV on the desktop either.

Regards. Gertjan

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I agree with both suggestions :)  My suggestion would be to weigh each one up in your environment and pick one.  Please report back your findings, for the community to learn from.

Working for cloudficient.com

Mark_Shoger
Level 4
Employee

JesusWept2, GertjanA, (and of course, Rob),

Thanks for your input. I would love to only offer this to a select segment of my population, but my environment is extremely political and unfortunately I'm subject to "what you give to user A, you have to give to user B."

I'm also burdened with users who complain vehemently about having to use AE and web search, complaining that they're too busy to use anything but Outlook's integrated search. So VV has become a convenient way to get them what they (think) they want.

I wish it was a cut and dried as Citrix vs. thick client users, but my users tend to roam and toady they might be on a Citrix session, tomorrow a thin client and all next week on a thick client. I have no way of knowing.

I'd love to say "no VV unless you're on a thick client," but I can't. I'll have to take this into the lab and try it and see how it works with thin clients.

Oh, and JW2, we already have a massive network based PST "problem" that will take me years to ingest into EV... ;)

I will report back once I figure out (am told what I will do) a solution.

Mark

JesusWept3
Level 6

ok well i dont think the outlook search with headers only would make them happy :)

i just think you're gonna create a massive amount of work with a 50mb crippled profile, but good luck :)