cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Vault not removed from Outlook...

dksoft
Level 4

Hi,

Here is my problem: I would like to disable archiving for some ~500 users and delete theirs archives from EV 9.0.2. The problem is that Virtual Vault is still always present in Outlook folder tree and users are able to browse the vault cache. How to remove it for 500 users?

Here is what i did (step-by-step):

1. Disable archiving for users from EV console.

2. Synchronize Mailboxes

3. Remove users from the Provisioning group

4. Run Provisioning task

5. Delete archives from EV

6. Uninstall Enterprise Vault add-in from user’s PC

The Virtual Vault is always there…

Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris_Warren
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Here is a thought... since you have a large number of user's that you need to affect, perhaps you can do this:

1. Create a batch file that does the following:

rmdir /Q /S "%homepath%\Local Settings\Application Data\KVS\Enterprise Vault"

REG Delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Client" /f

2. Set some sort of GPO to run this on the assocated user's as some log off script.

3. Assign the users you want to remove VV to this GPO.

- As this runs during logoff, it will remove the VV and VC footprints from the workstation

hope this helps.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hmmm so the issue is probably the MAPISVC.INF file, when the client gets installed it modifies it, so you may need to get that modified or delete it

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Ben_Heymink
Level 4
Employee

Simply disabling the policy followed by a synchronisation of the target mailbox/s will remove Virtual Vault from the user's profile. Although JW2 is correct, it (the Virtual Vault Store provider information) should have been removed from the MAPISVC file during uninstallation. You can confirm this is the case by opening your MAPISVC file (located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033) and verifying that any mention of "EVMSP" has been removed. In fact, baring any other third-party services, your file will likely be empty, save for a single '[Services]' line. 

I imagine (if you have uninstalled the client add-in correctly) that the MAPISVC file will indeed be empty, and the fact that Virtual Vault remains visible is simply down to the fact that the store (Virtual Vault) remains open in the users profile. User's should be able to right-click on the Virtual Vault node and remove it manually however.

dksoft
Level 4

Thank you, Ben!

Will try....

dksoft
Level 4

Ok, i tried to uninstall Add-in under user login and the VV disappears. But when i uninstall it under local admin account (or AD domain admins account) the VV is still present. The KVS registry key under HKCU was delted to, so, no way to set VVEnabled and OVEnabled to 0.

Also, i can not delete MAPISVC.INF because it contains other information (not only about EV)

The option to tell users to right-click VV then delete it from Outlook is not possible for us.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

depending on the version of Outlook, its actually EV that creates the MAPISVC.inf
So for instance in Outlook 2003 the MAPISVC.INF was a physical file, but in Outlook 2007 and 2010 MS changed it to be within the registry.

The EV Outlook Add In When its installed actually creates the physical file based off of whats in the registry.

Even if you do delete the MAPISVC.INF in Outlook 2003, Outlook will just rebuild it upon the next start.
If you delete it for 2007 and 2010, then it will just resort to whats in the registry.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

dksoft
Level 4

Soo, JesusWept2 you suggest to delete this file in Outlook 2003 after unistalling Add-in? The VV should gone?

dksoft
Level 4

I have tested it. Even if i delete the INF file, it's recreated again with no EVMSP entries. But Virtual Vault is always present in Outlook....

Any other suggestion?

Chris_Warren
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Here is a thought... since you have a large number of user's that you need to affect, perhaps you can do this:

1. Create a batch file that does the following:

rmdir /Q /S "%homepath%\Local Settings\Application Data\KVS\Enterprise Vault"

REG Delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Client" /f

2. Set some sort of GPO to run this on the assocated user's as some log off script.

3. Assign the users you want to remove VV to this GPO.

- As this runs during logoff, it will remove the VV and VC footprints from the workstation

hope this helps.

Hi,

Does anyone has tried removing Vault via commands provided in this article? I am able to remove the Vault client software and cache & registry vault with below script but Vault folder "Vault - USER NAME" is still visible in outlook 2016 folder panel.

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated. Vault client version is 12.0.4.1124  (x64bit) and for 32bit some users we have (12.1.1.1451).

rmdir /Q /S "%userprofile%\appdata\Local\KVS\Enterprise Vault"

REG Delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault" /f

Regards,

Untitled.jpg

Waqas