cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Vault question

Brian_Spooner
Level 5
Ok, so 8.0 SP3 is out...we upgraded the server, created a Virtual Vault test policy and moved some users into it...deployed SP3 Outlook addins, enabled Vault Cache, etc.

Virtual Vault seems to be working great with emails, but we have an issue with the calendar items. If you look at Tony Sterling's screenshot of Virtual Vault in this thread: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/ev-80-changed-way-it-handles-calendar-item-deletion  you will see that it shows the Calendar folder with a calendar icon next to it, and it's displaying a calendar view.

For our users they're seeing an envelope icon next to their Vault calendar folder...as a consequence, they can't get a Calendar style view..only message type views with all the appointments in a list basically.

How do we get the Calendar style view? Seems to me the source of the problem is that Outlook thinks the Virtual Vault Calendar folder is of email message type.
13 REPLIES 13

MoJoe
Level 4
I am testing Virtual Vault and am seeing the same thing as Brian.  I have no explanation either.  I have the same question as Brian; How do we get the Calendar style view?

Thanks, MoJoe

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I have just installed EV 8 sp3 and enabled VV/VC and it shows correctly.

Have you tried rebuilding VC?

Brian_Spooner
Level 5

Rebuild the VC just for the client or from the server? I can try that...we had never used VC before..I didn't even have a VC location on the server specified until after we went to SP3. So, it was just enabled and built for the very first time.  I don't think it would be anything like a stale cache, but I can give it a shot.

I'm worried this could be a bug since MoJoe is having the same issue.

Tony -- the archived calendar items in your Virtual Vault screenshot....were they archived by 8.0 SP2 and then you viewed them after going to SP3 with VV or did you archive them with SP3? I can tell you we archived them with 8.0 SP2...since that version handled calendar archiving differently I wonder if it had anything to do with this.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I just did a test and it is fine for me.  EV 8 sp3 server and client.

I was talking about reseting the Vault Cache on the users desktop via the Ctrl+Shift click of an EV Icon and click the reset option.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

We think there may be a bug.  It could be that if a user has vault cache prior to sp3 and then upgrade to sp3 then it doesn't show the calendar  folder correctly.  Does that sound like what you are seeing?

Mike

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
What Outlook language are you using?

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

BravoZulu
Level 5
x

Brian_Spooner
Level 5
I don't think the user ever had Offline vault enabled before because we never exposed offline vault to our users via policy.

The only thing I can think of is this.. The 8.0 SP3 client was deployed before this user was in the Virtual Vault test policy...after they had the new client, I added them to VV test policy and synced their mailbox but forgot to run the provisioning task. I remoted into their PC...which had Outlook open and had them restart so it would bring up the wizard for Vault Cache. It came up with the wizard for Offline Vault instead, which I just cancelled and then closed Outlook. I noticed on the server they weren't showing up with the proper VV test policy applied so I ran provisioning and sync'd them again. Went back to the users PC, had them re-open Outlook and the Vault Cache wizard appeared...went through that..gave it time to sync and came back to check VV and noticed the calendar issue.

Do you think it's possible this caused the issue? If so, what's the best way to clear it up -- VV client cache reset?

Brian_Spooner
Level 5
English

MoJoe
Level 4
EV Director,
In my case, the user did have vault cache prior to SP3. 

Other users could have had vault cache enabled also as there was a bug in the earlier releases of EV 8.o that automatically enabled vault cache when "Allow users to decide" is set on and "Show Setup Wizard" is set on for Vault Cache options (Technote 324978).  We had both options set, so any user with Exchange Cache turned on was automatically enabled for Vault Cache.

Is there a work around or fix yet?

Regards,
MoJoe 

Brian_Spooner
Level 5
We reset the VC cache, but no luck...same result. Any fix yet?

I guess I'll open a support case for it...

Andrew_B1
Level 3
Any update on the calendar views?  In my EV8 SP3 install we see also the calendar items as messages not as a calendar view in Virtual Vault.

Brian_Spooner
Level 5

No, unfortunately our virtual vault deployment got pushed back. I hope to get back to this in the next few weeks. If you happen to figure it out before we do, please post and let us know. I have a feeling it's a bug.

Thx!