cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Way to exclude File share folder from EV Archive

WMPTA_IT
Level 2

Hi

We have a file server being archived using EV Archive server. We are running version 11.0.1.3527. It is presented as a file server target and is currently being archived successfully.

However the share has lots of high resolution images and as a result viewing thumbnails and the actual image is very slow.

Is there a way that I can improve the performance of EV archive for this particular sub folder e.g. less rigiourious in how it archives or can I exclude this folder from being archived?

Any advice on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

you can do both. you can exclude the folder or the file type, you can try to enable pass-through recall

WMPTA_IT
Level 2

Thanks Andrew, do you happened to know any knowledge base articles for me to achieve this?

I have been struggling to find any items out there on the web.

AndrewB

should all be covered in the admin guides. for example, page 118 in Setting_up_File_System_Archiving.pdf covers pass-through recall.

Ben_Watts
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you really wanted to exlude it from Archiving, or change the filters placed on the files when running the Archiving task (different archiving rules to follow before archiving the files) then you can always use Retention Folders it was made for this exact thing:-

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH64712

But as Andrew says, if Pass-Through helps speed up the recalls enough then that may be a better option for you.

AndrewB

Ben, kindly explain how Retention Folders can speed up retrieval times for archived items.

Ben_Watts
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Sorry for the delayed response, I was responding to the later part of the OPs request:-

or can I exclude this folder from being archived?

As mentioned at the beginning of the post above -  'If you really wanted to exclude it from Archiving....'  -  it wasn't a suggestion to speed up recalls, just pointing the OP to a solution to the alternative request.

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

:You can create a folder policy to "do not archive", create an ArchivePoint on that specific folder and apply the folder policy to that folder.  The "Setting up File System Archiving" pdf in the section "Defining volume and folder policies" give pretty clear instructions, as well as the section "Configuring target volumes, target folders and archive points".