cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webapp (browser Search) Restore to PST in Journal only enviornmet Fails

Chris_Burke
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I am having a an issue in where restoring a basket in the Browser search app fails. The enviornement (EV10 /Exchange 2010) is licensed only for Journaling. I have added the restore to PST option (Per article TECH35558) I have also created a mailbox task that  is set not to run ( per article TECH56385). My querestion is can a user that has that does not have mailbox archiving restore or is it a prerequisite to have it. It seems from reading to suggest it but I do not see it actually stated anywhere. When attemtping to restore the following to events are logged int the event viewer:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log Name:      Symantec Enterprise Vault
Source:        Enterprise Vault
Date:          6/4/2012 3:32:32 PM
Event ID:      8391
Task Category: Directory Service
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Vaut

Description:
The EnterpriseVault.DirectoryService object reported an error.

Unspecified error

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp?EvtID=8391
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Enterprise Vault " />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49156">8391</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>21</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-06-04T19:32:32.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>2051</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Symantec Enterprise Vault</Channel>
        <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Unspecified error
</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log Name:      Symantec Enterprise Vault
Source:        Enterprise Vault
Date:          6/4/2012 3:32:32 PM
Event ID:      8390
Task Category: Shopping Service
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      VAULT
Description:
The EnterpriseVault.DirectoryConnection object reported an error.

Unspecified error

Internal references:
Error 0x80004005
CDirectoryConnectionObject::ReadArchiveRetrievalTaskByMailboxDN .\DirectoryConnectionObject.cpp [lines {7326,7335,7337}], built Jul  5 21:04:12 2011

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp?EvtID=8390
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Enterprise Vault " />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49156">8390</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>37</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-06-04T19:32:32.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>2052</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Symantec Enterprise Vault</Channel>
     <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Unspecified error

Internal references:
Error 0x80004005
CDirectoryConnectionObject::ReadArchiveRetrievalTaskByMailboxDN .\DirectoryConnectionObject.cpp [lines {7326,7335,7337}], built Jul  5 21:04:12 2011</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The technote I referenced has this:

Alternative Solution:
It is also possible to see this same error in a situation where there is no Mailbox Archiving Task associated with the user performing the restore. This can be seen, for instance, in environments where only Journal Archiving is implemented and no Mailbox Archiving Tasks exist; shopping basket restores will still request a mailbox to use for authentication to Exchange, and this error will be encountered when it turns out no Mailbox Archiving Task is associated with the user entered. To work around this, create a Mailbox Archiving Task to service the Exchange server that hosts the mailbox of the restoring user.

It could be that things have changed a bit since this was written for EV 8 and there are some additional steps required.

You could open a case and get a definite yes/no from support.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Tmarques
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Just trying to narrow down the issue.

are you able to use discovery accelerator to restore the items to PST

Chris_Burke
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I have not tried- I have not installed DA at this time. 

The client felt it was too much for them to learn, they were happy with the Browser App (until now) I was thinking about going that road but didn't want to use the resources just to prove out it couldn't be done- although I don't know that to be a fact, ultimatley I may need to- I was hioping someone had been down this road and could give me the low down on it.

TonySterling

quick question, after you created the mbx archive task did you restart the services?

Chris_Burke
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Yes I did- I set it to manual (it can not start because there is no license for mailbox archiving) I restarted the server.

TonySterling

One more thing, can you try creating a new basket?

Chris_Burke
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Yes- I have already tried that. I deleted all the baskets and tried with the same result. I also changed the permissions on the shpping basket location to give Everyone Full Control (testing purposes only) just to make sure it was not a permission error

TonySterling

Hmm, how many Exchange Servers?  The following technote has this:

To work around this, create a Mailbox Archiving Task to service the Exchange server that hosts the mailbox of the restoring user.

Unable to restore from basket, status = failed.

Article: TECH68853  |  Created: 2009-01-17  |  Updated: 2011-07-18  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH68853

Maybe your archive task is pointed to the wrong exchange server?

Chris_Burke
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Single Exchange server Enviornment- task looks good- other than it is not running, but that is supposed to be supported. I had seen the refernced article, what got me to start thinking that thi is not supported was a comment in the soulution section:

Solution

In order for Enterprise Vault to be able to restore items to a users mailbox using the integrated search ( search.asp ) the Enterprise Vault service account must have "send as" and "receive as" permissions on the target mailbox. The user also needs to be enabled for Enterprise Vault. Per the Enterprise Vault Administrators Guide, the Enterprise Vault Service Account should have these rights for all mailboxes being archived by Enterprise Vault.

That leads me to think this can't actually be done- even though the soulution is based on the very enviornment my client has.

TonySterling

The technote I referenced has this:

Alternative Solution:
It is also possible to see this same error in a situation where there is no Mailbox Archiving Task associated with the user performing the restore. This can be seen, for instance, in environments where only Journal Archiving is implemented and no Mailbox Archiving Tasks exist; shopping basket restores will still request a mailbox to use for authentication to Exchange, and this error will be encountered when it turns out no Mailbox Archiving Task is associated with the user entered. To work around this, create a Mailbox Archiving Task to service the Exchange server that hosts the mailbox of the restoring user.

It could be that things have changed a bit since this was written for EV 8 and there are some additional steps required.

You could open a case and get a definite yes/no from support.

Tmarques
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Chris,

If you not looking to restore many emails as a quick solution you could try the following

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/restore-mail-journal-user-mailbox-archive