cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are Virtual Vault Benefits?

Evault_Professi
Level 6
Partner

We will be supporting an environment with over 55K users. Before considering implementing Virtual Vault...I'd like to clarify what are the benefits of Virtual Vault besides the ones listed below? I found a knowledge base article indicating high latency in large environments. Best Practice documentation indicates 3 alternatives that can potentially impact SQL servers, the network, EV servers, or dataloss due to the lack of safety copies etc.

I'm afraid that the combination of any of those alternatives with the high amount of users will definitely impact the performance of the application with the end user. I'd like to understand the benefits of Virtual Vault to see if it outweighs the above.

It is my understanding that Virtual Vault can...

a) Appears as a regular Outlook PST files to the end user.
b) Items can be drag and dropped for archiving purposes as regular PST usage.
c) Multiple items may be select for mass email archive deletion.
d) Specific Retention periods and archiving strategies may be asssigned to a users Virtual Vault for classification purposes. Allowing users to archive only relevant items from the regular outlook mailbox, and at the same time freeing up space due to Exchange mailbox quotas.

Please advise on your comments,
Thanks,
Dennis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
SQL servers shouldn't have too big of an impact
and actually because Virtual Vault relies on Vault Cache you may actually lessen the impact when it comes to reading items as its no longer going acros the network to retrieve the item, also you lessen the impact of Archive Explorer and Browser Search if you use Outlook Instant Search (WDS) to index your offline files.

In our case we are considering of just getting rid of shortcuts altogether, which is great because it brings down Exchange fragmentation, as well as space consumed by the shortcut, means less connections required to exchange for each of the pending and post processing moves that are made.

Also with pre-emptive archiving and caching, remember that Virtual Vault and Vault Cache will be able to add items to the cache and virtual vault before the server does it, so the likelihood of it having to synchronize all the archived items from the night before is less and less
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
SQL servers shouldn't have too big of an impact
and actually because Virtual Vault relies on Vault Cache you may actually lessen the impact when it comes to reading items as its no longer going acros the network to retrieve the item, also you lessen the impact of Archive Explorer and Browser Search if you use Outlook Instant Search (WDS) to index your offline files.

In our case we are considering of just getting rid of shortcuts altogether, which is great because it brings down Exchange fragmentation, as well as space consumed by the shortcut, means less connections required to exchange for each of the pending and post processing moves that are made.

Also with pre-emptive archiving and caching, remember that Virtual Vault and Vault Cache will be able to add items to the cache and virtual vault before the server does it, so the likelihood of it having to synchronize all the archived items from the night before is less and less
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

GregRountree
Level 4
Partner

http://support.veritas.com/docs/345354

I would wait for this hotfix mentioned above to come out before implementation. With any large environment you should test in a QA environment and roll out a Pilot.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If your users already have offline vault, that will help.
Once build up on the ws's that would be a great tool for users. It will be even more easy for them to use the archive.
Regards. Gertjan

JosephRodgers
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Dennis,

Check out the video!

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/ev-virtual-vault-video-walk-through

-Joe

Evault_Professi
Level 6
Partner
Greg,

Thanks for your REPLY! That article had caught my attention during this initial research. Do you have an idea when this new version may be available? Unfortunately we are running into some minor issues with failed Indexes and it seems that 8.0-SP3 has a utility that will resolve our current issue. However, I don't think we will upgrade very soon. 

GertjanA,

We currently do not have many users enabled in Enterprise Vault. As we go forward...the plan is to move a certain amount of users into Evault for piloting purposes, but we wanted to get familiar with all possible issues prior to using the new version. This is still up for discussions at our end.

Joe,

Thanks for the link! I will take a look and keep everyone posted on any questions.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Best Regards,
Dennis

STS Symantec Enterprise Vault 2007
STS Symantec Enterprise Vault 8.0 for Exchange

Andy_Nash
Level 4
Employee

Veera_Door
Level 4