cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are your options to manage EV Vault Store data growth ?

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Yes, the question is simple but pardon me my friends, I do not know the options are apart from keep on adding some more disk or extending the LUNs which holds the EV Vault Store disk.

So what are my options ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

there's an amazing partner down there called Insentra. i have met them in person and their guys are on the forums occasionally too. i understand about cost reduction but sometimes it costs more in the end if you're not aware of all your options. talk with them and maybe build an archiving strategy around the technology you have already invested in.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

AndrewB

i think first and foremost is to work with your customer on defining proper retention policies. lots of places say they're keeping everything forever without taking into consideration what that means in terms of data growth, backups, management, etc. it's often because they haven't sat down and defined the company policies.

there are actually some really cool options in EV 10 now with cloud storage that you might want to explore. it sounds like you know the standard options and best practices about closing vault store partitions and partition rollover so i dont think i need to go into that.

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Yes closing and adding disk I know what to do. But it will be growing out of control (eg. no more drive letters) and if the SAN array runs out of disk then there is no more expansion to growth.

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

with the cloud option, suppose I got the existing 10 VaultStore with approximately 400 - 500 GB each size, does it means that I will need to upload 5 TB of data to the internet using my 2 MBps internet connection ?

AndrewB

as a master specialized partner, one thing we do as part of the original EV implementation is help our customers understand and prepare for their EV growth over the first 3 years based on sizing calculations which are custom to each environment. i dont know if you worked with a partner or if they offered something like this when you got EV.

as far as the drive letters, you can use mount points or cifs shares instead depending on your storage options.

AndrewB

if your bandwidth is really that limited i suppose that any cloud-based solution will be out of reach for you. i haven't come across anyone, at least here in the states, with that little internet bandwidth.

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Yes, that is true Andrew, God bless people in the US of A with the blazing fast Internet connection. But not the case in Sri Lanka or Australia :|

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Sadly the company who help us in building the EV solution went bust :| so we're left alone here on our own.

as part of cost reduction, we try to maintain it on our own from now on.

AndrewB

there's an amazing partner down there called Insentra. i have met them in person and their guys are on the forums occasionally too. i understand about cost reduction but sometimes it costs more in the end if you're not aware of all your options. talk with them and maybe build an archiving strategy around the technology you have already invested in.

raltit
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

Thansk for the reference Andrew

Dishan

What is the best way to contact you? Alternatively you can call us at Insentra on 02 8203 1600 and we can discuss your requirements.

Cheers