cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What dose Enterprise Vault Data Access account use for?

Charles_C
Level 4

Hi expert,

saw there are two things needed to be configure in the directory of the ev server,

one is the service account, another one is data access account.

i know that service account is the account which runs all the ev processes and services.

however, i am just wondering what is the purpose of enterprise vault data access acount.

In the manual of domino archiving, it just asks me to create this windows account.

but i am wondering what permissions i should grant or what is the best practice?

I know it is something related to web and iis, can i use put anoymous account inside?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

From the help file

Directory Properties: Data Access Account

The Data Access account is an account that Enterprise Vault uses to request items on behalf of a user.

This account is used by the following:

• The Domino Mailbox Archiving web application

• The Enterprise Vault OWA extensions

Note:

If you use OWA, this account must be the same account as you use for OWA. If you change the account on this tab you must also use the OWA script to configure the same account for OWA.

Log on as

• Account. The name of the Data Access account.

If you want to select a different account click Browse to pick from the list of accounts. Enter the account's password and confirm it. The account you pick should be a basic domain account specifically created for the purpose; you cannot use a local machine account.

• Password. The password for the Data Access account.

• Confirm password. The password for the Data Access account.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JesusWept3
Level 6
Just hit the help button and it will tell you very thing you need to know about the account and what it's used for etc

Chris_Warren
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

The Data Access Account is utilized with the EV OWA configuration.  More information about it can be found here:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO38207
Configuring Enterprise Vault for anonymous connections

Hope this helps.

BigPhil
Level 5

Just took a look at the article you linked to and it appears that the "Data Access Account" is really only used for Domino Mailbox Archiving web and not necessary for Exchange Server OWA configuration (uses the owauser.wsf file). If all you use is Exchange/OWA then there is no need to configure this setting and only need to use the script and exchangeservers.txt file.

JesusWept3
Level 6

From the help file

Directory Properties: Data Access Account

The Data Access account is an account that Enterprise Vault uses to request items on behalf of a user.

This account is used by the following:

• The Domino Mailbox Archiving web application

• The Enterprise Vault OWA extensions

Note:

If you use OWA, this account must be the same account as you use for OWA. If you change the account on this tab you must also use the OWA script to configure the same account for OWA.

Log on as

• Account. The name of the Data Access account.

If you want to select a different account click Browse to pick from the list of accounts. Enter the account's password and confirm it. The account you pick should be a basic domain account specifically created for the purpose; you cannot use a local machine account.

• Password. The password for the Data Access account.

• Confirm password. The password for the Data Access account.

BigPhil
Level 5

Yes, but my point is that the documenation is a bit missleading. It is not necessary to configure the Data Access Account via that tab if you only use Microsoft Exchange. Simply running the owauser.wsf script is all you need to do for anonymous access to OWA.