cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happen if i remove all the users from the provisioning group?

gilito80mx
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I have installed One EV server 9.0.3 that is failing all the time, and now i installed other EV Server 11.0.1 and need move user one by one to the new server, whats is the better way to do that? remove all the user from the provisioning group? i'll be stoped the archive task? remenber i dont like move all the user because a lot not work any more here in the company.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

first of all, like JW said, you need to disable them because they've already been provisioned so simply removing them from the group isnt going to change anything. you might want to set the tasks in report mode and disable the archiving schedules so the users can still get to their old shortcuts until you've completed the migration.

my vote is always for a 3d party tool but if you want some additional considerations then: how many archives and how much data you do have in terms of TB and number of messages? also, do you have journal data that needs to be migrated or just individual mailbox archives?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

what i would do is
1. Disable the users in the EV9 environment
2. Provision and enable them in EV10
3. Delete the Archiving tasks for the exchange servers in EV9
4. Use "Move Archive" to move from the old environment to the new environment.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129236

Depending on the amount of users you have to move, you may have it suggested to use a third party migration product , a list of partner products can be found here:

http://www.symantec.com/theme.jsp?themeid=enterprise-vault-extensions

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

first of all, like JW said, you need to disable them because they've already been provisioned so simply removing them from the group isnt going to change anything. you might want to set the tasks in report mode and disable the archiving schedules so the users can still get to their old shortcuts until you've completed the migration.

my vote is always for a 3d party tool but if you want some additional considerations then: how many archives and how much data you do have in terms of TB and number of messages? also, do you have journal data that needs to be migrated or just individual mailbox archives?

gilito80mx
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I forgot to mention that the environment will be all new, a new database engine , a new EV site, and we will go moving one by one the archives first we will restore the entire archive mailbox to mailbox exchange origin and then activate the the task file in the new EV obviously during keychain users making queries to the old EV , I think that what we do is what I mention Andrew
1. put the archiving tasks in report mode
2. The scheduling disable archiving for all users
I have only one doubt about the shortcuts from the user's mailbox ? how do I not point to the old EV ?

thank you all

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you are going to restore the entire archive back to Exchange why would you need shortcuts.  If there are shortcuts pointing to the old EV site left in the mailbox you will need to remove them as there will be no way to point them to the new EV server.