cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the meaning of the labels in the A5 Queue

Leo_
Level 5

I run EV 9.0.2 and Exchange 2007. I opened the A5 quque and noticed that more than half the items in it had a lable of [1], while the rest started with the test "Archive Mailbox (V4)" followed by the mailbox DN or were either Process Mailbox. What does the [1] label mean?

I've attached a screenshot of what I mean.

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

KarlW
Level 6
Employee

When you see the label starting with "Process Mailbox" this has been placed on the queue by the archiving task as part of the scheduled run starting (a "Process System" request is broken out to many "Process Mailbox" requests).

When you see the label starting with "Archive Mailbox" this is generally when a mailbox has been processed initially yet there are more items to archive than the number of items per pass - for example a "Process Mailbox" message is taken from the queue, there are 1500 eligible items, this will result in an additional pass of the mailbox - for which you see the "Archive Mailbox" label.

There really is no difference between "Process Mailbox" and "Archive Mailbox" requests, the second has a little more information packed into the pay load to determine amount of items to be archived when using Quota or Age&Quota based archiving.

The items tagged [1] or [2] or [3] signify that the previous attempt to process the 'job' has failed and is being retried, the number if the square brackets is the retry number.

Hope that helps.

Karl

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I do not have the pleasure of running 9 yet, but my guess is the (1) are mails to be processed. You should be able to doubleclick, and verify what kind of item it is.

Regards. Gertjan

Leo_
Level 5

The reason I posted the question is because I can't figure out what the difference is between the differently labeled items. I want to know why some items are simply labeled with a 1 inside of brackets and others are not.

KarlW
Level 6
Employee

When you see the label starting with "Process Mailbox" this has been placed on the queue by the archiving task as part of the scheduled run starting (a "Process System" request is broken out to many "Process Mailbox" requests).

When you see the label starting with "Archive Mailbox" this is generally when a mailbox has been processed initially yet there are more items to archive than the number of items per pass - for example a "Process Mailbox" message is taken from the queue, there are 1500 eligible items, this will result in an additional pass of the mailbox - for which you see the "Archive Mailbox" label.

There really is no difference between "Process Mailbox" and "Archive Mailbox" requests, the second has a little more information packed into the pay load to determine amount of items to be archived when using Quota or Age&Quota based archiving.

The items tagged [1] or [2] or [3] signify that the previous attempt to process the 'job' has failed and is being retried, the number if the square brackets is the retry number.

Hope that helps.

Karl

Leo_
Level 5

This helps tremendouly. thank you. I guess it bares the question, is it normal to have so many items fail? More than half the items in the a5 queue are labled as [1]

KarlW
Level 6
Employee

Well that would really depend as to what happened - it could just be a collision in schedule with EV going into backup or perhaps Exchange being unavailable.  I would say its not normal to have so many retries on a daily basis.

Is it this way each day - or was this a one-off?  The good thing is you didn't mention any being [2] or [3], chances are the retry succeeded. Obviously this is the intention of the retry mechanism,

Leo_
Level 5

archiving is back to normal it seems. so I guess this was a one off. thank goodness