cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What retention category is applied to subfolders under retention folders

kboorgu
Level 3

We had setup the FSA archiving for user's home folders using the retention folder heirarchy. The retention folder heirarchy has two folders called "1 Year" and "3 Year" and applied 1 year and 3 year retention to these folders accordingly. But I noticed that if a user creates a sub-folder either under 1 year or 3 year folder and places some files in these sub-folders, the parent folder retention category is not being applied to these files, instead it is appling the retention category specified in the volume policy.

Is this normal or am I missing something? Is there anyway to force all the subfolders under 1 year and 3 year folders to get the retention category of the parent folder instead of the volume settings?

Thanks in advance

Kushal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

StephenKing
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi kboorgu,

I would like to clarify the previous comment from yourself, please confirm if my understanding is correct:

You have a structure such as:

-File Server 1: File server configuration

-- Volume 1: Volume Configuration

--- Folder 1: Folder configuration 1 (Retain forever)

---- Sub folder 1

---- Sub folder 2

---- Sub folder 3

Folder 2: Folder configuration 2 (Retain for 1 Year)

---- Sub folder 1

---- Sub folder 2

You then relocate the Sub folder 3 from Folder 1 from Volume 1 etc...to Sub folder 3 in Folder 2 etc...

---- Sub folder 1

---- Sub folder 2

---- Sub folder 1

---- Sub folder 2

---- Sub folder 3 (Relocated Directory)

All files and folders that were processed under the original retention catogory (Forever) will retain this retention catogory as it is associated to the file, all newly processed files will be proccessed under the 1 Year retention catorgory and will retain the 1 Year retention. This is expected behavior, how ever if you did want to have the relocated files absorb the new retention catogory of 1Year then you will need to reprocess the files under the new retention category, this would mean hydrating the files back to their original size and then processing them under the new retention category. This is done via the FSAutility located in the "(install location)\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\" folder

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Simon_Altit_-_I
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Yes this is normal, however it can be easily fixed so that you get the results you are looking for. This is done by setting up the policy to auto-enable the creation of archive points on new immediate subfolders of a target folder. The target folder is then referred to as an auto-enabling folder. When the File System Archiving task runs in normal mode it creates archive points for any new subfolders that are immediately below the auto-enabling folder and whatever policy you have configured will be applied to it. 

If you let me know which version of EV you are running i can give you the steps you need to follow, alternatively if you go to the documentation folder that come with the EV installation files and find the pdf Setting_up_File_System_Archiving go to the Adding a target folder and archive points for FSA section and follow the steps. just make sure that when you create the archive point you configure it as an auto-enabling folder.

Hope that helps

kboorgu
Level 3

Thanks Simon,

We are using EV 9.0.1

We already added about 250 folders few weeks ago as FSA targets and most of the files in the target folders, retention folders and sub-folders underneath the retention folders have been archived already. Will it be possible to fix these folders?

Simon_Altit_-_I
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Yes it should fix the issues with your exisiting structure. All you need to do is create the two new targets (one for each retention category) and then disable the old ones (don't delete them incase something goes wrong you will be easily able to return to working settings) then once tested delete the old policies.

Open the document Setting_up_File_System_Archiving go to page 46 and follow the process outlined to add a new folder archive point and refer to page 63 to make sure you configure the retention folders properly.

kboorgu
Level 3

I think I may not be clear in explaining the issue. 

We have added about 250 users to the FSA and all of these users are on the same windows volume. So, I created a volume policy with a retention category of Forever and added the volume as FSA target. But since we want to control how the folders are archived and retained, I created a "Retention folders" policy which has the folders "
Archive, Archive\1 Year, Archive\3 Year, Temp, etc.". The retention folder "Archive\1 Year" was assinged a policy with 1 year retention and the "Archive\3 year" folder was assigned  a policy with 3 year retention category. The archive process created these retention folders fine and started archiving files in the root of the user's home folder and other folders within the user's home folder. But when a user moves a folder from the root fo the home folder to "Archive\3 Year" folder, the folder contents did not get the new retention of 3 years, instead they still have the Forever retention that was set on volume policy. But if a file is moved from the root fo the home folder to "Archive\3 year" folder, the file gets the 3 year retention when the archive task runs again and there is still a copy of the file in the root with the earlier retention. So, in essense when a folder is moved, the folder contents are not getting the new retention.

If I recall the files in the folder using the archive explorer's move to file system option and move the folder to one of the archive folders, the retention applies as expected.

Pleas see the attachment showing the retention folders and the options I have used when adding the user's folder. Also included the screen shot of the folders see via the archive explorer. 

We donot want to have the retention folders structure in every subfolder of the target folder, instead we want it on the root of the target folder only.

Simon_Altit_-_I
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Can you please post a diagram of what you are trying to achieve, just so that i am clear on what it is you are trying to do?

kboorgu
Level 3

Hi Simon,

I am attching another document with screenshots and more info on what steps I performed.

Thanks

Kushal

StephenKing
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi kboorgu,

I would like to clarify the previous comment from yourself, please confirm if my understanding is correct:

You have a structure such as:

---- Sub folder 1

---- Sub folder 2

---- Sub folder 3

---- Sub folder 1

---- Sub folder 2

You then relocate the Sub folder 3 from Folder 1 from Volume 1 etc...to Sub folder 3 in Folder 2 etc...

---- Sub folder 1

---- Sub folder 2

---- Sub folder 1

---- Sub folder 2

---- Sub folder 3 (Relocated Directory)

All files and folders that were processed under the original retention catogory (Forever) will retain this retention catogory as it is associated to the file, all newly processed files will be proccessed under the 1 Year retention catorgory and will retain the 1 Year retention. This is expected behavior, how ever if you did want to have the relocated files absorb the new retention catogory of 1Year then you will need to reprocess the files under the new retention category, this would mean hydrating the files back to their original size and then processing them under the new retention category. This is done via the FSAutility located in the "(install location)\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\" folder

StephenKing
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi kboorgu,

Did this end up being resolved for you?

If so please vote and or mark the resolved answer. If not dont hesitate to post an update.