cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to restore to get back an archive

TRP
Level 5

Hello all :)

We are running EV9. I need to restore a users archive that was deleted end of last year.

I have access to shadowprotect-based backups but I need to know exactly what files/folders I will need to restore from before the user was deleted.

I can't restore the whole drive as it is 300gb and just chokes up the network/server.

Thanks

Tracy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Oh cool! Well if the infrastructure is in place, make sure you have a good back up of everything. Shut down the EV services then restore the Vault Store, Fingerprint and Directory databases Then you will have to restore the entire vault store dataset unfortunately Then restart the admin, directory and storage service and then export through the vac Otherwise if you don't restore everything you would have to run EVSVR and run a report against just that mailbox and look at all the DVS/DVSSP/DVSCC files that it couldn't find and having to restore maybe 20,000 DVS files would be more time consuming than restoring the 300gb dataset
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JesusWept3
Level 6

to restore an archive, you're going to have to create a temporary site and restore the vault stores to that site.
you will need to restore every vault store and vault store partition if you have sharing enabled in a vault store group, and then after that , you would have to export the users Archive to a PST.

So typically what i've done in the past is

1. Create two virtual servers, one that will host the SQL Databases and one that will host the EV Server
2. Use the Powershell scripts in the EV9 media to install all the pre-requisites (MSMQ etc)
3. Restore Each partition from each vault store to the 1 server
4. Install SQL Server and then the EV server but don't run configuration
5. Restore the databases from backups to the temporary SQL Server, so this has to be the database just before you deleted the user
6. On the EV Server, add your alias and computer names to your HOSTS file

So for instance in production you might have

evSite (CNAM) -> EVServer1 (CName)
EVServer1 -> MachineA,myDomain.com
EVServer2 -> MachineB.myDomain.com
EVServer3 -> MachineC.myDomain.com

Put in Host entries so it would be like

127.0.0.1     evSite
127.0.0.1     evServer1
127.0.0.1     evServer2
127.0.0.1     evServer3
127.0.0.1     machineA
127.0.0.1     machineA.myDomain.com
127.0.0.1     machineB
127.0.0.1     machineB.myDomain.com
127.0.0.1     machineC
127.0.0.1     machineC.myDomain.com

The idea being that the new temporary server won't interfere with production servers.

7. Update the VaultStoreEntry table with the temp SQL Server so we're not talking to the prod SQL
8. Update the PartitionEntry table so its looking in the correct locations for the Partitions
9. Update the FingerPrintCatalogueDatabase table to look at the temp SQL Server
10. Update the ComputerEntry table and update each ComputerNameAlternate to be the temporary EV Server name
10. Run the EV Configuration wizard, and tell it to use the temp SQL Server
11. It should see that the computer is present in the database and repair the configuration
12. Go to your services and shut down the Indexing service so it doesn't try to rebuild any indexes
13. Go to the VAC and then export the users archive to a PST

TRP
Level 5

I wont need to set up a new server as the current one is no longer used. We have migrated to exchange 2010 and are using its native archving where needed so I can do whatever I like to our EV server

JesusWept3
Level 6
Oh cool! Well if the infrastructure is in place, make sure you have a good back up of everything. Shut down the EV services then restore the Vault Store, Fingerprint and Directory databases Then you will have to restore the entire vault store dataset unfortunately Then restart the admin, directory and storage service and then export through the vac Otherwise if you don't restore everything you would have to run EVSVR and run a report against just that mailbox and look at all the DVS/DVSSP/DVSCC files that it couldn't find and having to restore maybe 20,000 DVS files would be more time consuming than restoring the 300gb dataset