cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What video/webcasts would you like to see for Enterprise Vault?

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Within Symantec, from time to time we discuss the usefulness of creating videos/webcasts to pass information to you rather than perhaps tech notes/documentation  etc.

For example I do think a video of actually doing a first time Enterprise Vault installation would be useful.  Not so much because of the the technical content per se but you would see that it's not so difficult and so can consider doing it yourself.
Also I think it can be useful to explain how certain areas of the product actual work etc.  Are there perhaps some tech notes that could be converted to webcast e.g. some EV reconfiguration?

So if we did look into it, what types of subjects would you like covered and why do you think video is the best means for doing it? I think video can be useful but is more costly so we'd want to be sure we are covering the right topics. Perhaps we could even use the "Ideas" system to post possible topics and vote on then?

Very interested to hear your thoughts.

Yours,
Mike Bilsborough
EV Engineering 

14 REPLIES 14

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

So no interest in any webcasts then?

Interesting!....

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Mike maybe your accent on other webcats scared other people away? 

I think this is a really good idea, how about starting with some of the new fetures?
  • Virtual Vault
  • Move Archives
  • Enhancements to the Enterprise Vault Client for Mac OS X

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I thought there would have been a tonne of replies!

I second the new features overview. 

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
I agree the new features

Installs

HOW TO's like
DTrace and how to understand the results
Find data in the database (for use in queries)
Go into details on Storage options and the Pro's and Con's

Discovery Accelerator how it is designed to be used

Complaince Accelerator demo on how it is used

Touuble shooting each feature (do a video on each like FSA, Mailbox archiving, Journaling, DA, CA, IM Manager)
Just my initial Ideas

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi Mike,

For ' newbee's' - Installing EV

Additional

I second Liam's suggestion on DA how it is designed to be used.
Backing up EV
Performing a DR of EV
Explaining policies
Installing and configuring OWA extentions
Moving indexes/stores/databases to other server

I'll think of more.

Greetz.

Regards. Gertjan

Kris_R
Level 3
Definitely want to se a demo of DA SP2 and how to best use this tool, since it has encorporated the use of custodians/analytics.  lots of white-papers, but would be more helpful to see the webinar.

Contonso
Level 4
In the beginning I had my problems with understanding of the different PST migration strategies.
Perhaps you can make something about that.

Also the VaultCache is an interesting thing. If you think that lot of companies working global than the vault cache "can" have an affect on the used lines espacially if you are using roaming profiles. Non standard PCs could also be problematic. Perhaps a little bit more focus on Vault Cache and how this is working.

What also very difficult is to explain the users how EV is working. If they hear "archiving" than they have thousands of questions.
Perhaps Symantec can make it little bit easier for EV admins with some handouts or drawings for the end users. I know that this is very difficult because EV has lots of functions but just think about it.

And I agree Gertjan with "For ' newbee's' - Installing EV". Because I am one of them :)

BR

MXSYKES
Level 3
Webcast on the following would be great. Would also like it done for the Domino side since a large amount of shops use exchange we seem to be left out.

DTrace and how to understand the results
Find data in the database (for use in queries)
Go into details on Storage options and the Pro's and Con's

Discovery Accelerator how it is designed to be used

Compliance Accelerator demo on how it is used

Trouble shooting each feature (do a video on each like FSA, Mailbox archiving, Journaling, DA, CA, IM Manager)

Old_Dog_New_Tri
Level 3

I'm sure a lot of IT people would ultimately appreciate there being "how to" video's for actually using Compliance Accelerator or Discovery so that users (including myself) would stop bugging them about using the product.  (realistic usage scenerios are preferred) 

Spent a whole lot of time yesterday trying to figure out what "disable monitoring of employees in this deptartment" really does in terms of a scheduled or random search..  The help feature doesn't mention it and results still appear under "pending acceptance." 

(The user manual given to me by IT in October 09 could use some serious enhancements.) 

Batmanfail
Level 4
If Symantec made their Online based training FREE we wouldn't have the issue that Old Dog New Trick want to avoid....

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
 Mike,

I was wondering now that you have these suggestions. Do you have a time frame to when you will make them available?

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

No timescales right now until we determine what to do. Given video is very time consuming to produce I want to be sure we see a lot of people requesting same thing. right now it looks like a video for end user DA. 

Also an agreement that in fact video, as opposed to just help/docs is the best format to present the information.

Merv
Level 6
Partner
 Hi Mike
Yap I think a basic video taking you EV Infrastucture terminologies would be good for newbies..and a walk though the basic admin functions once a partner has setup EV and wants to handover to a steady state admin team.

Whats a Site/Provisioning grp/policy/retention period/vault store grp/vault store/partition/etc
-Then Admin things like enabling/disabling users
- running reports/ running in report mode
- exporting PST
- checking general health of EV
- basic troubleshooting steps for outlook client/ ev server to take before escalating to support

Hope this materializes sooner than later ;)

gurunaina
Not applicable

This post has been modified because the posting was intended for advertising and not as an answer to the original post.

Future postings for advertising by user  gurunaina will be reported the the Site Admins as SPAM