cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would be the best way to copy index data to a new custom field?

f_jansen
Level 3
Background:
We created a couple of custom fields in outlook/exchange and set up Enterprise Vault to index them as well. These searchable fields make it a lot easier to find a specific message after a couple of years. We also used a keyword - type field, and the keywords were basically just outlook categories that got assigned via a custom interface in outlook. EV indexes the categories field by default. So far so good, and we were happy with the way things worked.

After upgrading to exchange/outlook 2007 we started running into some problems with quick-click option on categories (where it helpfully deletes keywords you have assigned if you want to or not). We would like to store our keywords now in another custom field, and index that as well BUT we would like to have the EV search functionality search both categories and our new 'keywords' field at the same time. This would mean the end users can just type in the keywords into the same search field, but that it would find both old and newer messages that have keywords stored in a different field.
Question:
So, is it possible to point one field on the web search form to 2 different indexed fields (of the same type - comma seperated string values) or to somehow copy the indexes created for categories on the old messages to the new "keywords" field and then just search on the the new field to find both the new and older messages?
4 REPLIES 4

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi there

Have you tried the advanced search?
http://<server>/EnterpriseVault/search.asp?advanced

Maybe you can accomplish what you need here.

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

f_jansen
Level 3
Unfortunately the advanced search would not work (unless i am missing something).   To explain a bit more - we have added some custom properties to the indexing and searching by editing the custom properties.xml file as explained in Installing and Configuring.pdf.
What i would like to know is if it is possible to add a field in the section:
<!-- 3. DEFINITION OF PRESENTATION PROPERTIES AVAILABLE -->
so that the custom search field searches two different custom properties at the same time, OR if there is a way in EV to copy the data from a custom property field to a newly created field....

For example, we have an custom property in outlook/exchange that stores an activity and one for the creator of a message.  So in customproperties.xml we have:

<!-- 1. DEFINITION OF CONTENT CATEGORIES AVAILABLE -->
<CONTENTCATEGORIES DEFAULT="myComp">
  <CONTENTCATEGORY NAME="myComp" RETENTIONCATEGORY="Business">
<INDEXEDPROPERTIES RETRIEVE="Y">
<PROPERTY TAG="Activity"/>
<PROPERTY TAG="Creator"/>
</INDEXEDPROPERTIES>
 <!-- 2. DEFINITION OF CUSTOM PROPERTIES AVAILABLE -->
<CUSTOMPROPERTIES>
<NAMESPACE TYPE="MAPI">
<PROPERTY NAME="0x8872" TAG="Activity"/>
<PROPERTY NAME="0x860F" TAG="Creator"/>
<!-- 3. DEFINITION OF PRESENTATION PROPERTIES AVAILABLE -->
<PRESENTATION>
<APPLICATION NAME="search.asp" LOCALE="1033">
<FIELDGROUPS>
<FIELDGROUP LABEL="My Comp Properties">
<FIELD TAG="Creator" LABEL="Creator" CATEGORY="myComp"/>
<FIELD TAG="Activity" LABEL="Activity" CATEGORY="myComp"/>

The search (or advanced search) window will now display two additional fields "activity"  and "Creator" and vault will index the values stored in exhange for those fields.  Now i add another custom field in outlook (say Activity2).   I can add it to section 1 above to get it indexed, but I would like to only have "Activity" displayed on the search form and link it to both fields.. so it is transparent to the user.
The second option would be to somehow copy the data in EV for Activtiy to Activity2.. and then stop indexing and searching Activity.

Hopefully that makes things slightly more clear...

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Did you find a solution for this?

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

f_jansen
Level 3
Project put on back-burner for a month or two.  I will re-visit it towards end of July and give it another go.