cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When using the Store In Vault function, emails in non-default folders do not appear to change

stullier
Level 4

We have noticed recently that when someone attempts to use the store-in-vault function from the Enterprise Vault client for Outlook, if the email being stored is located in a non-default folder, the icon and message class do not change.  If the email being stored is in the Inbox or Sent folder, everything works as expected.

The normal day-to-day automatic archiving process appears to work properly (emails past the target date show with the correct icon).

Also, this only occurs when running Outlook in cached mode.  If we connect Outlook directly to the server, the behavior is as expected.

We have been working a case with tech support for 3 weeks now, and they have not been able to identify a reason.

Our Environment:

Server:

Windows 2012 R2

Enterprise Vault 10.0.4 CHF3

Exchange 2013 SP1

Client

Windows 7

Enterprise Vault 10.0.4 CHF3

Outlook 2010 or 2013

Has anyone else seen this or have any suggestions?

7 REPLIES 7

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

is this happening for one user or for many? what happens if you try from OWA? can you post a client trace and dtrace while recreating the issue for us to look at?

stullier
Level 4

Andrew,

This appears to be for many users.  I have not tried via OWA, because it works fine from Outlook when not using cached mode.

If I disable cached mode, delete the OST, then reenable cached mode, the items appear correctly in the folder, but when you go to store in vault again, the problem represents itself.

It is as if in cached mode, the Outlook client is not recognizing the change and not synchronizing the data in the non-default folders.  It does sync the read/not read values, just not the message class / EV status.

I will try to upload the dtrace and client trace as soon as I can.  

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

do you have vault cache or virtual vault enabled in the desktop policy?

stullier
Level 4

Sorry for the late reply.  We do have Vault Cache available, with the option to allow users to decide.

Make Virtual Vault available is NOT enabled.

stullier
Level 4

Andrew,

Please see that attached zip file client trace and server dtrace for both a working folder (inbox) and non-working folder (user-created folder)

Note: in the non-working folder case, the item is actually being archived, when viewed from OWA or non-cache mode in Outlook.

SheldonDsouza
Level 4
Certified

Hi,

What happens if you let the Archiving Task (Server initiated; irrespective of the task being scheduled or manually run) archive the mailbox. (Apologies, if you have already mentioned about this, may be I did not understand).

Does it pick up the items in the custom folders? If the Archive Task picks and processes the items from the Custom Folders (keeping the environment as is), then we could be having some issue from the client side.

The idea is isolation of the issue. (I will check the logs as well to see if I can pick up anything).

Regards,
Sheldon Dsouza

stullier
Level 4

Hi Dark_Knight,

We have been working with back-level support for some weeks now.  The items do get archived on the Exchange server, both when run manually and when using the scheduled archive task.  The problem is that the changes (message class, icon) are not synchronized down to the local cached Outlook copy.

If we clear the offline items from an Outlook folder and allow the sync process to copy them back down, they appear correctly.

We have both MS and Symantec looking at the issue, but neither can find the cause.