cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why EV is not archiving my Outlook email yet ?

John_Santana
Level 6

Can anyone here please assist me in troubleshooting my EV 9 archiving my Exchange Server 2007 SP3 mailbox ?

I can see that after I add new 1 TB LUN the drive is getting filled with some data but somehow the outlook email since last year is not archived yet by EV.

how can I make sure that EV can archive my Outlook mailbox and also other mailbox in the Exchange server.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
You need to make sure that the policy isn't set to run in report mode, check the message classes are set correctly, like ensuring ipm.note* is checked so that it will archive that message class Also make sure that the provisioning has the archive these mailboxes checked, make sure the policy has the ages set correctly and not looking for anything too old or what not, and that you're not using quota based only Also with the scheduling make sure it's not running 24/7 as that will cause issues with the per passes, but that wouldn't cause 0 items to archive You may just want to DTrace AgentClientBroker and do a run in report mode against your single mailbox and then look for the lines "eligible for archive" and it should tell you whether it's because it's unread, or too young etc And last but not least, ensure the archiving isn't suspended in the properties of the mailbox
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

John,

Have you checked the partitions to confirm that the partition pointing to this LUN is open?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Well, are the mailboxes enabled for archiving?

What archiving policy is associated with each mailbox?

Is the archiving task scheduled to run?

Have you run the archiving task in report mode to see what is likely to get archived?

Working for cloudficient.com

John_Santana
Level 6

Yes it is open Gabe.

as I can see that the disk space is growing bigger.

John_Santana
Level 6

As soon as I stopped the backup the journalling archive starts to run again, I can confirm the number of message is fluctuating ups and down as oppose to always growing when the EV is in backup mode.

Yes, the archiving task is always running.

No I haven't run it in archive mode yet, is that as simple as right click on the EV server node name ?

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

EV does not archive when in the back-up mode.  Back-up mode is a "read-only" setting.  You question is a bit confusing, are you working with Exchange Journal archiving, or Exchange Mailbox archiving.  Those are two separate process and have different use cases, separate policies and timings. 

John_Santana
Level 6

WitSend, I'm currently concerning about the normal Exchange mailbox archiving.

I can see some activity in the Journal mailbox from the Outlook client opening it. But in my Outlook mailbox account, older email is not getting archived yet ?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

So, have you run the archiving task in report mode against your mailbox?

Have you checked the policies applicable to your mailbox, as I suggested?

Working for cloudficient.com

John_Santana
Level 6

Yes I have done it, and the report says that I have  

Total size of archivable items 85567
No of Archivable items 10242

but somehow I just realized that the following attributes are all zero 0 ?

• No of items ready to archive
  • Size of items ready to archive
  • No of large items
  • Total size of large items
  • No of messages that would be archived
  • Size of messages that would be archived

is there something wrong with the mailbox or the policy ?

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
You need to make sure that the policy isn't set to run in report mode, check the message classes are set correctly, like ensuring ipm.note* is checked so that it will archive that message class Also make sure that the provisioning has the archive these mailboxes checked, make sure the policy has the ages set correctly and not looking for anything too old or what not, and that you're not using quota based only Also with the scheduling make sure it's not running 24/7 as that will cause issues with the per passes, but that wouldn't cause 0 items to archive You may just want to DTrace AgentClientBroker and do a run in report mode against your single mailbox and then look for the lines "eligible for archive" and it should tell you whether it's because it's unread, or too young etc And last but not least, ensure the archiving isn't suspended in the properties of the mailbox
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

John,

I have seen this behavior when there are 2 entries for the same mailbox in the ExchangeMailboxEntry table in the Directory database, or the hidden message is corrupted.

Hidden message corrupt:

Zap your mailbox. (see utilities guide). When zapped, enable mailbox again and sync the mailbox. Run task again in report mode against the mailbox, verify it now shows numbers instead of zero's.

If that does not work, try the below.

Query the ExchangeMailboxEntry table in the Directory database for duplicate entries.

USE EnterpriseVaultDirectory

Select * from ExchangeMailboxEntry where MbxDisplayName like "%Santana%"

If you get 2 rows, do the following:

Disable yourself for archiving. Delete the 2 rows from the table. Run provisioning. Enable your mailbox for archiving, select the archive belonging to your mailbox. When done, re-run the task in reportmode. That should now give you numbers instead of zeros.

Regards

Regards. Gertjan

Trafford
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi John,

Looks like you might have to get into a bit of troublshooting.

Here are some great resources I have found to aid in troublshooting

Start here - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO56938

This howto is a jump list to KB articles on all the various EV components.

There are a number of troubleshooting guides, usually called "Troubleshooting somehting or other"

On the KB set product to EV Microsoft Exchange and search "Troubleshooting" to find all the articles

Specifically -

Troubleshooting: Exchange archiving or Journaling tasks - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO56521#id-SF650160885

My favourite sequence - Check Backup Mode, Site Schedule, Task Schedule, Open VS Partitions. then hit the TS Guide

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello OP.

In my opinion you have a policy issue. Something in your policy is not doing what your expectations are for it to do. I have heard of hundreds of people coming to me saying that there archiving isnt working. In all cases where the report came back as yours did (except one) ... the answer was in a misperception of what the policy was actually set to do vs what the customer felt teh policy was set to do.

Can you please update this thread by either flagging some of the postings above as having resolved your issue or update the ticket with more details as to your issue? Doing so helps those who are helping direct their help to where it is most needed first.

Thanks in advanced.

J