cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Enterprise vault support SQL TDE

hopways
Level 2
Partner

Hi All, we have a client who is looking at implementing Enterprise Vault and they are asking if EV will support SQL with TDE deployed (Transparent Data Encryption) i have not found any information ragarding support for this function  i would of thought not

does anybody know if it will / wont or experience of this

thanks for looking

kind regards

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As none of the PM's have responded I think your best option would be to reach out to your Symantec account manager to see where this would be on the testing cycle. 

I am a bit curious about why they are considering this.  In reading about TDE on the MSDN it says this:

You can take several precautions to help secure the database such as designing a secure system, encrypting confidential assets, and building a firewall around the database servers. However, in a scenario where the physical media (such as drives or backup tapes) are stolen, a malicious party can just restore or attach the database and browse the data. One solution is to encrypt the sensitive data in the database and protect the keys that are used to encrypt the data with a certificate. This prevents anyone without the keys from using the data, but this kind of protection must be planned in advance.

And then a review says this:

For example, you have internet facing applications or have possibility of data files being lost, you might need to use TDE whereas if you have an internal applications, you might not need it.

Do they really think that EV needs this level of protection?  The actual data isn't stored in the db's so what's the point of encryption? 

Seems a bit of overkill.

TS

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As none of the PM's have responded I think your best option would be to reach out to your Symantec account manager to see where this would be on the testing cycle. 

I am a bit curious about why they are considering this.  In reading about TDE on the MSDN it says this:

You can take several precautions to help secure the database such as designing a secure system, encrypting confidential assets, and building a firewall around the database servers. However, in a scenario where the physical media (such as drives or backup tapes) are stolen, a malicious party can just restore or attach the database and browse the data. One solution is to encrypt the sensitive data in the database and protect the keys that are used to encrypt the data with a certificate. This prevents anyone without the keys from using the data, but this kind of protection must be planned in advance.

And then a review says this:

For example, you have internet facing applications or have possibility of data files being lost, you might need to use TDE whereas if you have an internal applications, you might not need it.

Do they really think that EV needs this level of protection?  The actual data isn't stored in the db's so what's the point of encryption? 

Seems a bit of overkill.

TS