cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Datacenter Edition for EV

Sortid
Level 6

I am using Ev10.3.  I am importing a heap of PSTs using EVPM.  I currently have Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise in a VM, with 8 CPUs.  I want to increase this to 16 to get more concurrent migrations going.  To do this I need to change to Windows Datacenter edition.  The compatability guide mentions x64 versions of Windows but no specific versions, so my thoughts are this is supported.  are there any issues with this?  The ESXi (5.1) host has the resources to grant this.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

have you tried? max CPU sockets for Win 2008 R2 Enterprise is 8 but that's not the max number of cores. pretty sure i've ran 16 cores on it before.

Sortid
Level 6

Yeah, I intend to run 16 sockets /1 core.  It can be done with 16 cores 1 socket but it intorduces some NUMA instability which I want to avoid

EdLacey
Level 5
Certified

Current environment I'm working on is EV 10.0.4 CHF3 on Windows 2008 R2 Datacenter Edition SP1 running 12 cores with no issues

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Current environment is Windows 2008R2 Standard edition with 16 cores (2 procs, 8 cores each), no issues

Regards. Gertjan

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

I run serveral servers on Win2008R2 / EV11 and all my servers are 16 cores.  I can run up to 8 PST imports concurrently.

Sortid
Level 6

Thanks guys.  My question was specifically about Datacenter edition, but I think there's no probs with this.

WiTSend, I was running 10 threads (via EVPM) on 4 processors, with CPU around 98%.  I've upgraded to 8 CPUs and ran 20 threads yesterday.  CPU struggled a bit, hovering around 98% again, but got through in the end - a lot quicker than on 10 threads - but I realise I may have been a bit ambitious.  I intend to back it off to about 12 for now.  I think support say 15 should be the max. 

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

did you need anything else?