cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Instant Search does not find items within Virtual Vault

AL_G
Level 4

Hello

I've spent quite a lot of time investigting issues like this and last week came across a (very) recent article which appears to describe exactly what we're seeing.

TECH156937 - Windows Instant Search does not find items within Virtual Vault 

"Windows Instant Search does not find items within Virtual Vault. However, the same items can be found using Windows Desktop Search. This issue may appear intermittently where Instant Search will find items in virtual vault and the stop finding the same items at a later time"

This is listed as a "known issue" with no fix (yet).

I see the "Instant Search" integration as a major win from a user experiance persepctive, but if it cannot be "relied on", it's obviously going to pose a problem from a support and user experiance (and "perception") perspective.

I'm very keen to find out more details on this issue and ideally an ETA for a fix.

Thanks

-AL

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

We have been able to reproduce the issue on Windows XP and Outlook 2007, so that's an entirely different version of WDS.  However, we have also been able to partially fix it...  by virtue of another fix.  The main stay of our efforts though is that a colleague of mine is working closely with Microsoft to determine what is happening, what causes it, and what we (or they) can potentially do.

More news .... soon.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

There is no ETA yet.

A colleague in Support, and I are working with Microsoft on the issue.  At the moment we do not know if it is an issue with Enterprise Vault, or Outlook.

PaTryptik
Level 4

I also have the same issue and several users are complaining that searching in Outlook isn't efficient for items in the Vault Cache, which is a major drawback for deploying this solution to our users.  

I have reset my Vault Cache and rebuilded my index and an Outlook search still doesn't find a word in a message I have right in front of me in my Virtual Vault.  But other VV messages are sometimes listed in search results.  

I noticed I quite often have the following error in my ev_client_log_'date'.txt log files: "The indexing operation performed by the WDS protocol handler failed: 0x80040154"

I'm using Windows 7 x64, IE v8.0.7600.16385, Outlook 2007 SP2, HTTP-only Add-In v9.0.5186 (Build 9.0.1.1090).

EV server is 8.0.4.1991 with patch TECH136060, TECH136409 and TECH141575.

Thanks for debugging this issue.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

i think quite a few people have this problem (myself included) though i believe this is more of a WDS issue than an EV issue (i could be wrong though) because even taking VV/VC out of the mix, i get intermittent results on just searching outlook regularly.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

PaTryptik
Level 4

It might be worth linking this discussion with https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/instant-search-not-working-virtual-vault

JesusWept3
Level 6

as noted on the other thread, they're compeltely different issues

PaTryptik
Level 4

Is there any update or progress in diagnosing this issue ?

thx

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

We are still working with Microsoft on the issue.

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I've just sucessfully reproduced this issue. It only seems to occur with the 32Bit version on OL2010. OL2010 64Bit with Win7 64Bit work fine.

Is there already some development in identifying this issue?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

We have been able to reproduce the issue on Windows XP and Outlook 2007, so that's an entirely different version of WDS.  However, we have also been able to partially fix it...  by virtue of another fix.  The main stay of our efforts though is that a colleague of mine is working closely with Microsoft to determine what is happening, what causes it, and what we (or they) can potentially do.

More news .... soon.

PaTryptik
Level 4

The previous post is marked as a solution, but what is the fix/solution/procedure for this issue ???

This issue's technote hasn't been updated...  
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH156937

About 40% of my users have this issue, either on Outlook 2007 x86 or 2010 x86, but most on Windows 7 x64.

JesusWept3
Level 6

the procedure is to subscribe to the technote, when a fix is released, the technote will be updated, you will get emailed that its been fixed and everything should be ok

Beyond the forums, the best you can hope to do is create a case with symantec, ask for the case to be cross referenced to the etrack, the more cross-references that an issue has, the higher priority it will then be given.... Most likely because its now a known issue with a technote written that its under investigation they will then ask if its ok to close the case and keep you updated via the technote.

You can also keep in contact via your symantec reps (be it sales, or account management etc) to make sure that you are kept up to date also.

PaTryptik
Level 4

Thanks, I had already performed all of what you mentioned.  But since I didn't received any update I was curious to know why Rob Wilcox's post has been set as a solution...

I hope we will soon get a solution, as it appears it has been fixed !

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I know not ... other than I'm generally AMAZING and solve everything (provided it is easy!)

The update is that we're working with Microsoft on the issue.

PaTryptik
Level 4

:)