cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working without Outlook add-in

ToonD
Level 2
Hello

I would like to know if it is possible to use Enterprise Vault via Outlook without the Outlook add-in installed.

Would you please be able to explain me what kind of functionality I will miss when I do not install the Outlook add-in?

Let me know if you need more clarification!

Thanks
Toon
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

To create links you would do this:

1. In the Enterprise Vault Console, Navigate down to your mailbox policies.  
2. In the policy properties, Click on the Shortcuts Tab
3. Under Shortcut body>>Customize  check the "Add Link to view archived  item".  (Figure 1)
Figure 1

4. Click OK, then synchronize the mailboxes.
5. The link will now be in all future archived items.

This puts a link to the original message and all attachments for users to be able to recall archived items with a client.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling

Possible yes, recommended, probably not.

Why are you considering not installing it?

You not be able to manually archive or restore. 
You would not be able to double click on a message to view, you would have to included links in the shortcut content.
You would not have access to Vault Cache or Virtual Vault.

Overall, the client allows the end user experience to be quite rich.  I do not recommend not installing it.

ToonD
Level 2
Hello Tony

Thanks for your quick answer. I have the following situation.

The customer is using Outlook 2010 together with an Exchange 2007 server.
For the moment Outlook 2010 is not yet supported with EV 8.0, support will come in EV 9.0.1

But the customer already wants to start right now.

There is no need to manually archive or restore, this will only be done automatically.
There is also no need for Vault Cache or Virtual Vault.

But I want the experience to be seamless for the end-user, so the should be able to double click on an archived mail to view the mail. What do you exactly mean with " you would have to included links in the shortcut content". It's not so clear for me what this means ...

Thanks a lot!
Toon

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can try to install the currenct EV client on Outlook 2010 and see what happens.
In this thread: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/ev-support-outlook-2010 someone has installed the EV 7.5 client in Outlook 2010 and seems to be able to open archieved files. Just give it a try, but note that this configuration will not be supported by Symantec.

TonySterling

To create links you would do this:

1. In the Enterprise Vault Console, Navigate down to your mailbox policies.  
2. In the policy properties, Click on the Shortcuts Tab
3. Under Shortcut body>>Customize  check the "Add Link to view archived  item".  (Figure 1)
Figure 1

4. Click OK, then synchronize the mailboxes.
5. The link will now be in all future archived items.

This puts a link to the original message and all attachments for users to be able to recall archived items with a client.