cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zap Multiple Mailboxes

andylee1892
Level 1

Hi,

Just after some guidance.  As part of a user cleanup exercise, I am looking to zap any users who haven't logged in for X time.  I will be using the EVPM.exe from cmd and using the .ini switch.  Some of these accounts may already be disabled and/or hidden from the Exchange 2013 GAL - would this matter? 

Also, is it possible to log failures with this command?

Thanks

Andy

1 REPLY 1

daveoflave
Level 4
Employee

Hi Andylee,

I know this is a bit late, but in case anyone reads it in the future, this might help. 

EVPM doesn't care if mailboxes are hidden or AD disabled, it will work.  When a mailbox is hidden from the GAL, or the matching account is AD disabled, EV updates its own ExchangeMailboxEntry table in the Directory DB to reflect those states, using the MbxExchangeState column.  The purpose is to prevent normal archiving and unnecessary administrative tasks from being performed against those mailboxes (by default), but we can certainly still find them.  But EVPM is not bound by those particular archiving rules, and will execute its commands against the listed mailboxes in the .ini if they're present on the Exchange target. 

As far as error logging, there are a couple of options; none of them are exactly narrowed to errors per se. 

-You can dtrace evpm, and then ensure that all of your affected users' mailboxes are listed in a single .ini file.  Then you'd capture any errors in a single log.  Sometimes we're even lucky enough to get an event thrown under the "Policy Manager" category in EventViewer.

-Or, you could simply add a ">" switch with a path to your command line execution of EVPM.  So for example, you could run it like this in cmd:

EVPM.exe [-e Exchange Server computer name ] [-m service mailbox] [-f Initialization file location and name] > c:\zap-output.log

Thanks,
Daveoflave