cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

archiving task on remote server does not archive

Tmast
Level 3

Hi,

Have an Exchange 2007 SP3RU3 server in a remote site (connected via 60 mbps link, round trip aprox. 20 ms), where the archivng task fails to actually archieve any items, however no errors are indicated.

The EV (ver 901) server is placed in the central site. there are no evident errors in the event log of the EV server, the task starts fine, CPU spikes for a short moment, and then drops down.

The Mailbox Archiving report (servername-time.txt) does not show up in  the \Reports directory, and the eventlog just says the job has started.

the exchange servers (same version) in the central site has no problems archiving tasks

what i've done

check permissions - OK

re-create system mailbox, task, Exchange target etc. - OK

added specific users to the provisioning group directly (e.g not through group membership)

check eventlog on remote Exch. server, and EV server - OK.

What am i missing ?

Br

11 REPLIES 11

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

any chance of getting a dtrace of ArchiveTask when running a report against a mailbox?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited

Hard to say at this point (beyong what you've said that it is NOT running in report mode).  I assume the event is saying the task has started as opposed to the actual archiving run?  So I presume the archiving task is in schedule?

So I would get a dtrace of the archive task and post it here.

Tmast
Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

a quick, rather dumb question, how do i run a DTRACE ? :)

br

Steffen

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I would suggest the following

1. RDP to the EV Server logging in as the EV Admin account
2. Stop all the Archiving tasks (including the one that "Doesn't work")
3. Open up a command prompt and CD to your \Program Files\Enterprise Vault\ Directory
4. Type "DTrace" and press Enter
5. Type "set ArchiveTask v" and press Enter
6. Type "log C:\ArchiveTaskTrace.txt" and press Enter
7. Minimize the command prompt
8. Start the Archiving task that "doesn't work"
9. Right click the task and go to Run Now
10. Choose "Report Mode"
11. Choose "Selected Users" and select a single user to run a report on
12. wait for several minutes, making sure that no report is generated in the \Enterprise Vault\Reports\Exchange Mailbox Archiving\ Directory
13. After a few minutes (at least 5 minutes) go back to your command prompt
14. Type "Exit" and press Enter

This will then stop the logging, then zip the dtrace up and attach it here on the forum if you can

I'd also be interested in knowing if you can synchronize individual mailboxes as well, so if you right click the Task and go to properties, go to the synchronization tab, choose select users and pick a handful of users, can you sync them or does it error?

Don't choose all users as it will just throw them in the MSMQ and attempt to synchronize them, where as if you do selected users it will synch them immediately, if you wanted to DTrace that process then you would dtrace AgentClientBroker

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

Have you done a Run Now in Report mode against a user and see what that gives out? You only get a report when manually running in report mode, not on a scheduled run.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

do you have forefront running on exchange in your remote site? after RU3 came out, I had a customer who experienced the same thing as you. was related to forefront update that was applied at the same time.

Tmast
Level 3

Hi Andrew

Actually yes, forefront is installed on the server.

Also installed on the servers in the central site, however i'll have to check up on patch levels to ensure they are similar.

can you remeber any details regarding the FFE update ?.

will have a shot at the D-trace later today if things go as planned.

br

Steffen

AndrewB

Tmast, here are my notes. Sorry I don't have the exact number of the update. It was at the end of March. Here are my notes:

The dtrace showed that there was a delay when attempting to read the Unique Identifier from the message.
This exceeded the 10 timeout with no error reported- (Essentially Exchange was the problem, but they weren't reporting an error)

The issue was corrected with rolling back the update on Forefront for Exchange

AndrewB

were you able to figure out the issue?

Tmast
Level 3

Hi

Sorry, really need some kind of notification when new postings appear, don't check here very often, and have been very busy lately.

Basically, the issue ended up being a lack of items which were within the archieving criteria.

I couldn't find anything in the dtrace that indicated an error, so i stepped back and had a look at the criteria and the mailboxes enabled for archieving didn't have any items eligble for archiving.

Br

Steffen

AndrewB

there's usualy an automatic email notification. please mark your post as solved if you ever come back to check the forums. glad you figured out that nothing was actually wrong.