cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

are Enterprise Vault v9 service accounts mailboxes still required when decommissioning Exchange?

paul_gartner
Level 3

We are in the process of shutting down our Exchange 2010 environment and would like to keep the Enterprise Vault v9.0.4 running for legacy purposes. (ie stand-alone Enterprise Vault)

In our environment, we have the following service accounts that have exchange 2010 mailboxes:

Display name                                     account

EV Service account                          evservice

EV Service Account mbx1              evservicembx1

EV Service Account mbx2              evservicembx2

EV SQL account                                 evsql

Can I remove the mailboxes (keeping AD account)?

Thanks

Paul

5 REPLIES 5

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
It kinda depends on where and how they are used. Assuming based on their names what they do I woudl suggest that you can probably disable the Mailbox interfacing tasks (mailbox/journal) and confirm these accounts are used in their config and then delete them EV Service Account mbx1 evservicembx1 EV Service Account mbx2 evservicembx2 The VSA.... probably also at least nothing comes to mind. Which leads me to recall that I forget stuff all the time and that this must be documented. Have you seen this bad boy yet: https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100017952.html

Prone2Typos
Also curious. Are you just going to age out your stuff? Do you have a configured Retention (and what is it) if so? Do you only have mailbox data in EV? No PF, FSA, Journal, or SMTP data? Thanks

Thanks for the reply

our live users have been migrated to o365, and we are using a tool/service to migrate the archive to o365.

the archives for the deleted users will also be transfered.

retention is forever, and we only have mailbox data.

does the evsql account need a mailbox?

I will review the technote you linked

Prone2Typos
Typically, most people use the VSA as the SQL account. From the name and not knowing how it is configured it is difficult to be sure but assuming it is used in interfacing with SQL exclusively .... no.

Very odd, when I run the SQL query referenced in the linked technote, it shows mailboxes that still associated, but have been migrated to office 365 months ago. Is this normal?

On the SQL server (srv-arcsql) all the SQL services are running with evsql account, so that seems like a dedicated account for the SQL. So if this safe to remove the mailbox only?

On my Enterprise Vault server (srv-arc) all the Enterprise Vault services are running with the evservice account.

Under EV-site/EV-Servers/Son-Arc/tasks, the Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task for SRV-MBX1 and Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task for SRV-MBX2 task are using system mailboxes evservicembx1 and evservicembx2 (respectively).

Is there somewhere in the console where I can see the services account? I have not found anything yet…