cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

assigning a dedicated PRC port for ev 2007

Abdul_Alwahidi
Level 4

is there a way to assign a dedicated RPC port for ev 2007. although i opened ports 80,443,135, and 389 at the firewall, i still face denied access to my archives and/or archive fnctionality.

each time i netstat and allocate the closed port (which is usually 1024+) and open it at the firewall.

is there a way to assign a fixed rpc port?

6 REPLIES 6

Alan_M
Level 6

I don't believe so. Its only the end point mapper listening on 135, the server (EV) listens on a dynamic port 1024+ and the client is referrred to that port once a connection is made.

Abdul_Alwahidi
Level 4

So I must open 1024+ at EV for all.

I hope this wll be fixed in later SPs or something. you know rpc is every firewall admin nightmare.

Joseph_Rodgers
Level 6
Partner

Abdul,

This is a function of DCOM not EV.  EV has a great fix to this.  Switch to HTTP mode.

In your mailbox policy - advanced - outlook -  Outlook Add-in Behavior.  Set to use HTTP.

Sync the mailboxes and EV clients should now use HTTP (tcp:80) for communications.

review: Admin Guide p109.

Regards

Joe

Abdul_Alwahidi
Level 4

i just reviewed the manual. this seems like a very good work around.

will give it a try tomorrow and let you know.

Joseph_Rodgers
Level 6
Partner

Abdul,

I forgot to mention the minor downside.  Switching to HTTP mode makes the EV full client act like the lite-client.  Users will no longer have access to the EV properties on the folder tab and when manually archiving an item they will not be promtped to choose the retention category (some clients perfer this).

-Joe

Abdul_Alwahidi
Level 4

Yes I came into that and I have no problem. in fact, in all my policies deletion is forbeddin, and retention periods are all hidden.

thanks anyway.