cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

choice of retention category is grayed out

jordanatwork
Level 3

We're running EV 8.0.4.1991. The Outlook Add-In is installed on the client workstation and the "Outlook Add-In behavior" is set to Normal in the Advanced properties of the Exchange Desktop Policy.

When a user hits the Store in Vault button on the Enterprise Vault toolbar in Outlook, they see the dialog box that includes a pick list for the Retention Category, but that list is grayed out. We have two RCs, but the user is unable to choose anything other than the default one. I assume it's picking up this default from the setting in Archiving Defaults in the properties of the Provisioning Group that covers this user.

Neither of the RCs have "Hide this category from users" selected.

Is there some other setting somewhere that keeps a user from overriding the default retention category on an item-by-item basis?

Why can't this user choose a retention category when they archive an item? Shouldn't they be able to pick any of the non-hidden RCs?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ameen
Level 6

Hi,

Go to Vault Administration Console and locate policies>Exchange>Mailbox and go to properties of policy, go to the tab 'Archiving actions' and make sure that 'Force user to use policy and target settings for mailbox archiving' is unchecked.

Ameen. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

i could be wrong but i think choice of retention category comes from the policy that has the overall locks set on it

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

jordanatwork
Level 3

I don't see a lockable setting that pertains to retention category in the Exchange Mailbox policy, if that's the policy to which you're referring.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

in your exchange mailbox policy there's a tab called archiving actions. is the box for overall lock checked?

Ameen
Level 6

Hi,

Go to Vault Administration Console and locate policies>Exchange>Mailbox and go to properties of policy, go to the tab 'Archiving actions' and make sure that 'Force user to use policy and target settings for mailbox archiving' is unchecked.

Ameen. 

jordanatwork
Level 3

Thanks - unchecking that box did the trick. I wish this were described more clearly in the documentation, unless I missed the part about how this setting affects the user's ability to choose retention categories.