Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

client-driven PST migration PST migrated message

gparker
Level 4
Partner

Hi

We're running EV 9.0.1, Outlook 2007-SP2, EV Outlook Client Add-in v0.0.1.1097.

I've configured and ran a client-driven PST migration. The post-migration email that is sent to the user's mailbox stating that "EV has archived all items in your PST", also states "The folder hierarchy in the PST has been copied to your mailbox and begins at the top level of your mailbox...". I think this message is misleading because according to the EV 9.0.1 Administrators Guide, after a successful PST client-driven migration, the PST is removed from the user's profile. In my test, the PST was indeed removed from the profile just as the Admins guide says - I could not see it listed anywhere in the Outlook folder structure. The only way I can access items in the archived PST is via archive explorer or search-vaults facility.

So, is the post-migration message incorrect or is the Admins guide incorrect?

George.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Joyce_VERI
Level 6
Partner Employee Accredited

Hi

From memory I think you have to customize the PST migrated message to match the policies you have configured.  What do you have configured for Shortcut creation in the PST migration policy?

A

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Andy_Joyce_VERI
Level 6
Partner Employee Accredited

Hi

From memory I think you have to customize the PST migrated message to match the policies you have configured.  What do you have configured for Shortcut creation in the PST migration policy?

A

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

The Admin guide states:-

To set up the successful PST migration message

1 Decide which language version of PSTMigratedMessage.msg you want to use

and locate the file.

2 Using a computer that has Microsoft Outlook installed, double-click the file

PSTMigratedMessage.msg in Windows Explorer to edit the message.

3 Review the text and make any changes that you require.

4 Save the message.

5 Copy PSTMigratedMessage.msg to the Enterprise Vault program folder

(normally C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault) on every Enterprise Vault

server in the site.

So, you need to edit this to suit your own policy, as Andy mentioned.

alfredmjNZ
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Much as it pains me to admit this, but Andy is right.

The EV9 PST Migration policy has a setting that determines whether and where the PST messages are shortcut.  Suggest you  read the Administrators Guide (Editing the Exchange PST Migration Policy p243).

AlfredMJ

gparker
Level 4
Partner

Hi all,

Thanks for your help. My PST policy did have shortcutting enabled. But it eventually sorted itself out after I closed and re-launched Outlook a number of times. I now can see a "PST" folder within my mailbox folder list and it contans shortcuts to all the items that were originally in the "Personal Storage" folder. The "Personal Storage" folder has been taken away from the Outlook profile as it should. So the Client-driven PST migration is now working according to the book.

Having played with it now for a bit, I don't think that the PST Migration Policy has any bearing on Client-driven PST migration. I think this policy is only used in automated EV driven PST archiving - ie locate/collect/migrate. I believe the only thing in common between automated PST migration and client-driven PST migration is that you have to configure a PST Migrator task.

George.