cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

closed partition migration

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

a customer want to migrate EV data into a geographically different location. We'd like to migrate data from closed partitions first (partitions are NTFS based). I guess it will take several hours maybe days. I am preparing steps which will prohibit changes on closed partitions during this.

I see the following must be set:

- disabling storage expiry

- disabling end-user deletes

- disabling collections

I also consulted a doc about Manual Migration of EV system (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH141481 ), and there are also the following settings advised:

- disabling archive location updates

- disabling user actions in Virtual vault (VV)

- disabling manual archiving

But I guess they are related to open partitions (manual archiving and some VV actions) or maybe EV databases (location updates and some VV actions), and not closed partitions. Am I right?

8 REPLIES 8

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

I would put the VS in the backup mode so as to preclude any activity in the VS and it's associated DB. Whilst this would effect the open partitions, it would be safer in the long run.

Michal_Mikulik1

Well, I want to disturb end users as little as possible. I'd like to get over migration time without backup mode.

Michal

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

have you figured out your approach for this or do you still have any questions?

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

I'd like to have some more comments on my last question:

"But I guess they are related to open partitions (manual archiving and some VV actions) or maybe EV databases (location updates and some VV actions), and not closed partitions. Am I right?"

The more detailed estimate showed that closed partition migration will take 3-5 days, so Id like to avoid using backup mode.

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

You could use a program like robocopy to copy the data from the source to the destination and then once that is completed put the VS in backup mode and use robocopy to copy any deltas which would be a very short duration.  Then you could make the change in SQL.

AndrewB

that's how i would do it. if you can adjust your expiry and collections schedules until the copy is done it'll help mitigate changes to your closed partitions. thinking about it, worst case is you'll have some orphaned savesets in those partitions after the copy. you could find a tool to do a full comparison and then clean up any extra bits leftover if you had to.

Michal_Mikulik1

OK, I will suggest to  perform incremental delta at the end - one question, what do you mean by orphaned shortcuts - orphaned by copy tool possible bugs, or by some EV process which could cause this?

AndrewB

orphaned savesets as in if a process such as delete, expiry, collections, etc, happens after you perform the copy. since you're going to do it on a live system not in backup mode it's just a consideration. should be managable with file copy utilities.