cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copy vault contents?

gspreeman
Level 2
We have a new iT guy and hes of no use right now. I can search the Desktop and see the first few lines of emails I sent or received but, that's all. How do I restore the actual email? Also, is it possible to copy the vault to another computer?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You need the Outlook Add-in installed, and then (depending on the policy) you will have a Restore button in the toolbar/ribbon (depending on the version of Outlook).

The 'vault' as you refer to it lives on the server.  Again, if configured, you can have a locally cached copy. It is not straight forward to copy that to another computer though.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You need the Outlook Add-in installed, and then (depending on the policy) you will have a Restore button in the toolbar/ribbon (depending on the version of Outlook).

The 'vault' as you refer to it lives on the server.  Again, if configured, you can have a locally cached copy. It is not straight forward to copy that to another computer though.

Working for cloudficient.com

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello gspreeman,

What you are seeing is an Enterprise Vault shortcut, which is basically the original email truncated to a few lines based on the policies configured in the Enterprise Vault servers. Normally, if your Enterprise Vault administrator allows you to perform a Restore, in Outlook you should see the Enterprise Vault toolbar with a Restore option button and/or under Tools > Enterprise Vault.

However, you don't need to restore the email to see its content. If you double-click over the shortcut, the EV Outlook Add-In should retrieve the item for you and open it in a new window without going through the restore process. If you open a EV shortcut and you still see the shortcut content, you need to talk to your EV admin since retrieval is not working. Also, you can use Archive Explorer or the Vault Search as well. Look at the Enterprise Vault toolbar to see if you have these options enabled.

I hope this helps.

gspreeman
Level 2

Thanks Gabe, it's now starting to make sense. I don't seem to have the ability to restore which is fine for now but, is there a way to copy the contents of the vault, albeit truncated emails, to another computer? Is a file format that can be read in access or by outlook?

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

From the Enterprise Vault server you can export the content from one archive and import it to another one but you need access to the Enterprise Vault server. That would be one way to do it if you want to extract all the archived data and import it to another mailbox or archive. Without the restore function enabled in your mailbox, it would difficult to copy the content from your Outlook.