Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

delayed shortcut creation

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Hi,

I do not remember how the follwing is done:

mailarchiving immediatly but shortcut creation after a couple of month...was this even possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Agree. Sometimes however a request simply is not supported by the application.

Other options would be Virtual Vault for this one user?

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

GertjanA

Hi CC

I've seen a similar question a while back, as far as I recall, not possible.

I'll do some checking to see if I can find the Forum question for you

Regards. Gertjan

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Hi Gertjan,

thanks a lot.

As far as I remember I think the same.

I wonder If you could use a trick here:

2 policies

1. archive immediately without placing shortcut and deleting original (age out for example after 14 month)

2. archive with deleting an placing shortcut (age oder than 1 year)

then swap (automatically or manual) to the 2.policy like once a month (maybe last weekend of the month)

after archiving swap back to 1 policy

SIS should take care of doubled entries (storage wise) aslong as they exist

VirgilDobos

Hi there,

That is doable but not really practical.

But, let me ask what is the use case? Is this a compliance requirement? Are you trying to archive immediately in order to archive all emails ie. trying to simulate journal archiving? If this is the case, beware aware that users may delete emails before they get archived and you will have to go for journal archiving to ensure compliance.

--Virgil

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Hi Virgil,

let me say this is a "special requirement" for a manager (really includes only one person)

The reason behind it is, that he does not want to wait for archived items that are younger then 1+ years. BUT he wants to use the search functions given by EV, and also to have a way to look into accidently moved/deleted mails.

It has nothing to do with compliance reasons, in this case I would also use journal archiving.

VirgilDobos

Hi mate,

Got it. I reviewed the approach that you mentioned earlier in a bit more detail and I believe there will be a small challenge. While the OSIS will take care of not storing the messages twice, on the front-end, you will see duplicate emails in EV search as the emails will be archived two times. 

I have not tested this though, but I suggest you test it first to see if it is feasible for you.

--Virgil

GertjanA

Managers, oh joy...

Anyway. I agree with Virgil. You need to test to see if you do not get duplicate items in the archive. And, if it works at all. The thing is, if you archive an item, I believe it does get a stamp somewhere, something like 'is archived'. This means that if you try to archive the item again a year later, it won't archive because EV already has it.

Again, I'm not sure, but it is worth a test. Taking in account the timeframe, you should be able to simulate it in 2 days right? Depending on the requirement, would it be feasible for this 1 person to:

Archive all items older than 1 day. Create shortcut, where content is messagebody, replace attachments with links. That way, the user has close to everything in the archive, and you have some control over the mailbox-size.

Regards. Gertjan

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Hello you both,

yes I thought that too with double vision in EV.

This is why I wanted to set the retention for the first policy to age out shortly after the period. So the items will only show a second object for a shorter time.

I am not sure how the second item will be available then...guess I will have to test that.

I will talk to them and ask if linking attachments would be ok...

thank you for the recommendations...guess I need to test some scenarios now.

Agreed this is a bad idea. Even if your first archiving run leaves the original, it also leaves a MAPI property on the original item containing the archived date. This tells EV's task to skip the item next time it's encountered. So to get your second archiving run to work, you would need to remove this property from each item or else use the IgnoreEVDates override in the Registry, and you can't target that override at just this one guy's mailbox, so then everybody's items get archived a second time. I understand the idea of expiring the items from the first batch just in time for the second batch to arrive, but expiry is not instantaneous and usually not running every day, so the user will probably end up seeing duplicates on some days. All in all this would be a huge admin effort to try to get the product to do something it's not designed to do, and frankly it's better just to educate the users about the proper use of the product and its limitations.

Now, if only this person were a file server instead of a manager, we actually support delayed shortcut creation for FSA items natively in the policy....

--Chris

GertjanA

Now, thinking OOTB.

If you archive the items without creating a shortcut, they remain IPM.Note messageclass (right?)

How about if you run a script after the defined period which changes the messageclass of the items to IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.Shortcut? (or whatever it needs to be). If that is at all possible obviously. Would that work? Due to the messageclass being changed, the item will be expired according to EV rules (as the class is changed), functionality would not be affected, and no real difficult configuration.

Regards. Gertjan

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Very interesting if this would work. Gertjan.

And yes I agree it would be better to go along the lines...but sometimes people are a little bit resistant for edjucation lessons about how a product works...if you know what I mean.

GertjanA

Agree. Sometimes however a request simply is not supported by the application.

Other options would be Virtual Vault for this one user?

Regards. Gertjan

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Hi,

yes I have considered this too, but have to clarify.

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

I have sucessfully bargained him down to archive mails older then 2 month and offering him the vault cache/vault.

Thank you for the creative input everyone.