cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deleting exchange archives and cleaning up vault store storage

matthewking
Level 3

We are removing exchange archives.  I have deleted a bunch of archives by marking them for deletion and they have disappeared from the EV console.  But the size of our Vault Store drive is still going up?  What is the proper way to delete the old data from the deleted archives?

8 REPLIES 8

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Hi,

when did you start the deletion process of the archives?

WE've been migrating mailboxes since mid 2018 and I have been deleting archives starting October 2018.  The last time I deleted a mailbox was in early Feb 2019.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello

Check this article HERE

Additionally check THIS KB.

The growth you see possibly is the extracting of CAB files (if you used collections), to allow migrations. If you stopped archiving, the extracted files will not be removed. check your storage for *.archcab/*.archdvs/*.archdvssc and *archdvssp files. You probably have some

Regards. Gertjan

HI Gertjan,

I found the .archdvs files.  Collections is enabled, but set for 12am to 12am, set for max collection files to 10MB, older than 10 days.  As the collection times is at 0, I don't believe its running?  If I increase the time, will it clean the archdvs files up?

GertjanA

Hi Matthew,

Either configure it to run from 12AM to 14AM, but set the 'collect items older than' to 999 years. (no new collections will be created), or run it manually regularly.

The *.arch files will be removed by that process by default after 24 hours I believe.

You can also write a script to remove them (check Forfiles using Google), but that might interfere with user-operations. If you use that, I would set it to removed those files older than 12 hours.

Regards. Gertjan

SO I ran the job manually.  Is there a job history report/log I can view?

From the other links, I also check the SQL server... the vaults in the ArchiveHistory table in the Enterprisevaultdirectory db are no longer in either vault tables of the vault store group tables.  Does that mean they have been deleted?  

GertjanA

Hi,

They should be. If you open the console, expand to Archives, then sort on status, you should only see Available ones.

Regards. Gertjan

If the removed archives have been deleted, what is the process to reclaim the white space?