cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deleting vault does not regain all disk used?

alv
Level 3
hi.  let's say i delete a vault w/ roughly 1TB of data.  the vault gets marked for deletion then eventually disappears.  i don't see 1TB worth of disk space free up.  collections are enabled, not sure if that factors in.  any ideas?  thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Collections will play a part in it as the items in the cabs are not extracted and re-packed until a threshold is met.

Also, are you looking at the size of items before compression?  1 TB of data pre-archive won't take up a TB of space in the archive so it may seem like you are not getting all the space back but if you aren't looking at the right numbers it is skewed.

Regards,

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TonySterling
Collections will play a part in it as the items in the cabs are not extracted and re-packed until a threshold is met.

Also, are you looking at the size of items before compression?  1 TB of data pre-archive won't take up a TB of space in the archive so it may seem like you are not getting all the space back but if you aren't looking at the right numbers it is skewed.

Regards,

alv
Level 3
hi tony.  we're just using the vault store usage reporter.  can you recommend a better way?  also, at what point will the cab rebuild itself?  can this be customized?  thanks.

TonySterling
What version of EV are you running?

alv
Level 3
7 sp4 / exchange

TonySterling
I am pretty sure that in EV 7 the Usage.asp page shows the size of items before compression.  So if the archive reports as 1TB on the usage.asp it isn't taking up 1 TB in the vault store.  Usage.asp also does not take single instance into account as well. 

You can try this sql query and see if this works, but I am not sure if it works for EV 7:

--This gives the archive name and size of archive in kilobytes
--Runs against the VaultStore Database
SELECT ex.MbxDisplayName, a.archiveditems as Count, (a.archiveditemsSize/1024) as 'Size'
FROM Saveset s
Join Archivepoint a on a.ArchivePointIdentity =s.ArchivePointIdentity
Join EnterpriseVaultDirectory.dbo.ExchangeMailboxEntry ex on ex.DefaultVaultID = a.ArchivePointID
GROUP BY ex.MbxDisplayName, a.archiveditems, a.archiveditemssize

alv
Level 3
thnx!