cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disable archiving exchange

mghomer
Level 6

Hi all,

I would like to disable the exchange archiving. Unfortunately the Evault was not setup by me so I’m not really familiar with the software.
As I understood I have only to disabled the two tasks:
Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task for "our Mailserver"
and
Exchange Provisioning Task for "our Domain"

The other tasks for the file archiving I will let running.

Is that the right way?

The attachments from the exchange which are already archived should stay archived. I think it will be or I’m wrong?

I hope you can help me

Tanks.

Im using EVault 9

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

What do you mean with: "On the flip side users won't be able to restore items either, they will be able to open them but not move them back to their mailbox"?
By opening the attachments within the mails the item will be restored, so if the user open it the second time the attachment is no more archived?

What i meant is , EV has two methods of getting archived emails back, a retrieve and a restore.
If you open an item through Search.asp, Archive Explorer or through shortcuts in a users mailbox, you will "retrieve" the item, this opens the item in a temporary location, and once the item is closed , its delete from the temp location.

But if a user was like "i want to restore all my items from \inbox\my Folder\ from EV", they wouldnt be able to select all those items and place them back in their inbox.

and
- hide all the buttons and set the schedule to never run: which buttons do you mean?

In the Enterprise Vault Client within outlook, there are a number of buttons that a user has access to IF the Desktop Policy allows it, such as Store In Vault, Restore From Vault, Delete From Vault, Archive Explorer, Search etc.

Most peoples end goals when migrating away is to stop new emails from being archived, and stop users from manually archiving items, but still allow them to restore items, and view items already archived.

So some Admins would set the EV Schedule to never run in the site properties within the Vault Admin Console, so if configured (by default) the tasks would look at the site schedule and see they are never to run.

Then they would hide the Store In Vault button so that no items could be added to vault
BUT they leave the Restore From Vault button, so users could place items that had previously been archived back in to their inbox, they could also access items through OWA without issue

The buttons are all held in the Desktop Policy and will have a checkbox as to which buttons will display on the tool bar, or in the menus or both etc

disable all the users and set the schedule to never run: you mean the AD users? if so, i can't do it because our new mailsystem is using the AD usersobjects

I meant disable the users in EV, when you disable a user in Enterprise Vault, it just means stop them from being archived from EV, but still give them access to items that have already been archived.

So in the Vault Admin Console you will have two buttons at the top, one being the Enable Mailbox Wizard where you would assign user their archiving policies and vault stores etc and then the Disable Mailbox Wizard, so that Enterprise Vault will no longer archive their emails or allow them to manually archive their emails,.

What the disablement does do is let them be able to open items from shortcuts in the mailbox either through Outlook or Outlook Web Access and also shows a single EV button which is Search In Vaults, so that the user can be able to find their items that may exist in their archive but not in their mailbox as a shortcut.

- disable the archive tasks etc: this both tasks?
and
Exchange Provisioning Task for "our Domain". But if i do that as said the users won't be able to work with  Outlook Web Access anymore.

Correct, if you disable the tasks in their entirety users won't be able to archive or restore items.
Restoring items is a key part of OWA functionality, as the item is silently restored to the users Deleted Items folder and displayed in OWA from there.

So you can see there are multiple ways to get where you need to be, if you don't have OWA and don't care about OWA, then disabling the tasks is just fine

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JesusWept3
Level 6
What's the reason for disabling EV as a matter of interest? Disabling the tasks is enough to allow people to open their archived emails and not be able to archive new emails or let EV automatically archive new emails The one thing this will stop though is opening items via Outlook Web Access On the flip side users won't be able to restore items either, they will be able to open them but not move them back to their mailbox There are a few ways you could go about it though - hide all the buttons and set the schedule to never run - disable all the users and set the schedule to never run - disable the archive tasks etc

mghomer
Level 6

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

We are migrating our mailserver, so at the moment the exchange is only a kind of archive mailsystem. The users are using it only for their old mails. I think the exchange well be online only for one or two years.

What do you mean with: "On the flip side users won't be able to restore items either, they will be able to open them but not move them back to their mailbox"?
By opening the attachments within the mails the item will be restored, so if the user open it the second time the attachment is no more archived?

and

- hide all the buttons and set the schedule to never run: which buttons do you mean?

- disable all the users and set the schedule to never run: you mean the AD users? if so, i can't do it because our new mailsystem is using the AD usersobjects

and
Exchange Provisioning Task for "our Domain". But if i do that as said the users won't be able to work with  Outlook Web Access anymore.

cheers

JesusWept3
Level 6

What i meant is , EV has two methods of getting archived emails back, a retrieve and a restore.
If you open an item through Search.asp, Archive Explorer or through shortcuts in a users mailbox, you will "retrieve" the item, this opens the item in a temporary location, and once the item is closed , its delete from the temp location.

But if a user was like "i want to restore all my items from \inbox\my Folder\ from EV", they wouldnt be able to select all those items and place them back in their inbox.

and

In the Enterprise Vault Client within outlook, there are a number of buttons that a user has access to IF the Desktop Policy allows it, such as Store In Vault, Restore From Vault, Delete From Vault, Archive Explorer, Search etc.

Most peoples end goals when migrating away is to stop new emails from being archived, and stop users from manually archiving items, but still allow them to restore items, and view items already archived.

So some Admins would set the EV Schedule to never run in the site properties within the Vault Admin Console, so if configured (by default) the tasks would look at the site schedule and see they are never to run.

Then they would hide the Store In Vault button so that no items could be added to vault
BUT they leave the Restore From Vault button, so users could place items that had previously been archived back in to their inbox, they could also access items through OWA without issue

The buttons are all held in the Desktop Policy and will have a checkbox as to which buttons will display on the tool bar, or in the menus or both etc

disable all the users and set the schedule to never run: you mean the AD users? if so, i can't do it because our new mailsystem is using the AD usersobjects

I meant disable the users in EV, when you disable a user in Enterprise Vault, it just means stop them from being archived from EV, but still give them access to items that have already been archived.

So in the Vault Admin Console you will have two buttons at the top, one being the Enable Mailbox Wizard where you would assign user their archiving policies and vault stores etc and then the Disable Mailbox Wizard, so that Enterprise Vault will no longer archive their emails or allow them to manually archive their emails,.

What the disablement does do is let them be able to open items from shortcuts in the mailbox either through Outlook or Outlook Web Access and also shows a single EV button which is Search In Vaults, so that the user can be able to find their items that may exist in their archive but not in their mailbox as a shortcut.

and

Correct, if you disable the tasks in their entirety users won't be able to archive or restore items.
Restoring items is a key part of OWA functionality, as the item is silently restored to the users Deleted Items folder and displayed in OWA from there.

So you can see there are multiple ways to get where you need to be, if you don't have OWA and don't care about OWA, then disabling the tasks is just fine