cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does the desktop policy control retention categories when custom retention categories are used?

skw234dmsp
Level 3
Does EV control retention categories or are the retention categories controlled by EV and the desktop policy?

What I noticed, if I have Outlook configured for RPC over Http and attempt to push out a custom retention category to multiple folders in my mailbox I do not see a change in my mailbox.  i.e. I create three folders 180 days, 540 days, & business documents.  I apply a custom retention category to each.  I verify that by placing an unarchived email in EV using the 'Store in Vault' button.  I then see the square icon w/the clock.  I find locate the folder that contains the file that was just archived in the Vault Partition Store located on an NTFS File.  I right click that folder and select properties -->general tab-->advanced-->uncheck 'Folder is ready for archiving' to simulate a backup.  I restart the storage service, restart the provisioning task, resynch the mailbox.  The icon for the item changes from tiny clock over the box to the box with the arrow point over it.  This informs me that my item has been stored in the vault. 

I then check the properties of that item to get the retention category /retentionID and document that number/id.  I then move that item from one folder to another folder w/a different retention category.   I resynch the archive to see if that retention category or ID has changed.  There is no change.  However, I am logged into a different PC w/out RPC over HTTP enabled.  I repeat the process for a different email.  I then check the retention category/ID and it has changed with a new retention category number.

My question is this... are custom retention categories controlled by EV or by the desktop policy? 

EV 8.01 (SP1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
The retention categories are updated during the run of the archive task or if you do a run now of the archive task and choose shortcut processing. 

The Moved Items tab on the policy controls if the Retention Category is updated or not.

Have read of this Technote:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/327537.htm

After an archiving and shortcut processing run retention categories for items where the Retention Category was selected by the user or set by a custom filter are reverted to the retention category of the folder the item is in. This can be witnessed in Archive Explorer.

Details:
To resolve this issue perform the following:

1) Select the properties of the Mailbox policy for the affected user.
2) Select the "Moved Items" tab.
3) Deselect "Include items with Retention Category selected by the user or set by a custom filter.
4) Synchronize the users mailbox and test again.

If you want those items to be updated make sure Include Items with Retention Category selected by the user or set by a custom filter is selected.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
The retention categories are updated during the run of the archive task or if you do a run now of the archive task and choose shortcut processing. 

The Moved Items tab on the policy controls if the Retention Category is updated or not.

Have read of this Technote:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/327537.htm

After an archiving and shortcut processing run retention categories for items where the Retention Category was selected by the user or set by a custom filter are reverted to the retention category of the folder the item is in. This can be witnessed in Archive Explorer.

Details:
To resolve this issue perform the following:

1) Select the properties of the Mailbox policy for the affected user.
2) Select the "Moved Items" tab.
3) Deselect "Include items with Retention Category selected by the user or set by a custom filter.
4) Synchronize the users mailbox and test again.

If you want those items to be updated make sure Include Items with Retention Category selected by the user or set by a custom filter is selected.