cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

domain migration

GTK
Level 6

hi

i am potentially migrating EV (journal) off servers in a 2003 OS domain over to a 2008 OS domain. I am aware of the EV doc to move EV servers to another domain. I was wondering if anyone knew of any potential issues when doing this or if anything else I would need to be aware of?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi there,

If that would be the case, you would need to set the DNS entries during the upgrade/migration and follow the additional steps as mentioned in the first post.

By the way, when is this migration planned? 

--Virgil

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

VirgilDobos

Hi there, 

Assuming you are moving to a brand new domain having two-way trust relationship with the current one, the following are the steps to follow;

1. Create new VSA on the new domain and assign permissions (optional)
  2. Place EV into backup mode
  3. Depromote the EV server from current domain
  4. Add the new domain to the Targets
  5. Set EV services to run under the new VSA (if applicable)​
  6. Create/set DNS aliases on the new domain to point to correct EV server 
  7. Run a Sync
  8. Confirm everything is working as expected

I followed this aproach on a similar migration recently and didn't face any problem. 

Hope this helps.

--Virgil

GTK
Level 6

ok thanks for reply

is there any rational for upgrading to new OS/hardware in current legacy domain then moving the new EV server to the new 2008 domain OR would it be advised to build the new 2008 EV server in the new domain then migrate EV over ?

VirgilDobos

Yes, there is - it is always recommanded to do one step at a time so it will be easier to troubleshoot should you run into any issues during the upgrade or migration.

Let me know if you need further info.

--Virgil

GTK
Level 6

hi Virgil

thanks for replying again.

just to confirm... you are advising that we should build new W2K8 servers in current legacy domain, migrate EV, THEN move servers to new W2K8 domain?

I am thinking what if our AD team insist that any new servers have to be placed into W2K8 domain for a particular reason (policy, security etc) ?

VirgilDobos

Hi there,

Yes, from experience, this is what I recommend. Otherwise there will be too much complexity and room for errors. Post successful upgrade, you will just have to depromote and join the new EV servers to the new domain by following steps highlighted above.

--Virgil

GTK
Level 6

my only concern Virgil is if the AD team say that we cannot build any W2K8 servers in the current legacy W2K3 domain for whatever reason (security etc). What is the approach to take IF the new servers have to be built in the target domain ?

VirgilDobos

Hi there,

If that would be the case, you would need to set the DNS entries during the upgrade/migration and follow the additional steps as mentioned in the first post.

By the way, when is this migration planned? 

--Virgil

GTK
Level 6

thanks Virgil

i see the migration probably happening in next few months. Your advice is appreciated

many thanks

VirgilDobos

You are very welcome. I would appreciate if you can mark the post as solution. :)

--Virgil