cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

enable backup mode on closed partitions only

rbollinger1212
Level 4

How do i enable backup mode on closed partitions only? I need to do this for Journals, Indexes and Archive partitions.

Thanks,

Robert

3 REPLIES 3

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Robert,

You can set backup mode on a single (closed) partition. Lowest level is the actual Vault Store.

Any particular reason for doing this?

Regards. Gertjan

Yes. Thanks for the response. I originally asked this question last night when i was doing a standard file based backup using CommVault. I wanted to mark the closed partitions in backup mode and leave the open ones alone. So that vault could continue to run while the 20TB backup ran.

However the above idea didnt work out as the Journaling Process was taking forever (the scan phase of CommVault, where the journal of all the files to be back up is created). After 16 hours of CommVault performing the scanning phase, and getting no where, i canceled the job (taking to long).

I spoke with CommVault and they recommended an Image Based Backup (running now). Evault is still in Backup mode for all indexes, journals, archive data etc.

Do you know if its a supported method to use an Image Based backup of Vault ? for the Archive, Journals etc? The CV guy assured me it was fine. This is for Evault 10.

Thanks,

Robert

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

hm. ok.

If you use collections, you need to backup a VS partition until collection is completed (no new collections created. If you use expiry, you wil have to backup closed partitions too (as items will be removed when they expire). If you do not, it is sufficient to backup closed partitions once in a while (monthly?).

If you rely on the archive bit being cleared to proces backed up items, you need to use the triggerfile functionality. This will allow EV to process backed up items.

Index locations (my opinion) can be backed up weekly. If an index backup needs to be restored, EV will re-add items to the index if necessary.

See http://www.veritas.com/docs/000010873 for hints and tips.

Regards. Gertjan