cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

enterprise vault 11.1 indexing totally stuck but archiving working as per schedule

pravingoud
Level 4

Dear Team,

As we know enterprise vault 11.1 support has been expired last year. i got a case of enterprise vault 11.1 where is indexing totally stuck and user are facing mail missing issue due to inproper indexing.archiving working as per schedule i observed and found there is no maintenance plan were running properly since 6-8 month.this is a worst enviourment. there is 2 enterprise vault server which are standalone.

below troubleshooting i've done on enterprise vault.

~run SQL maintenance plane 4-5 time in EV offline mode 

after maintance i observed user accessing ev smoothly but still indexing not starting.

i have to migrate this server on new Enterprise vault 12.1 before i have to stable this old enterprise vault server 11.1

does any one have suggestion what should i do to stable this enviorment??     

Regards,

Pravin Goud

Enterprise Vault Admin

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Pravin.

There is no missing mail! There is only 'not indexed' mail. Not indexed = cannot be found by user. Browsing Archive Explorer should show mails.

What you need to do is to apply CHF5 as soon as possible. when you have that, you system is going to be hammered for a while (due to the indexing backlog), but it WILL catch up, trust me :)

I've been there! We used 11.0.1.CHF3 also, and had an indexing backlog of 116 million items... As soon as we applied CHF5, the backlog dropped to 0 in 9 days....

Again, apply CHF5. Tell your customer it is a known issue, and is resolved by CHF5.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

GertjanA

Hello Pravin,

11.0.1CHF5

This has the installation instruction. Very highlevel:

Set tasks in report mode, restart. Wait for MSMQ/Storagequeue to empty. Set backup mode on indexes and stores. Backup database. Upgrade DA (and/or CA) first. Then upgrade EV. Clear backup mode, clear report mode from tasks, restart tasks.

If you have multiple EV servers, upgrade 1 first. That allows for upgrading databases etc. when succesfull, upgrade other servers.

Regards. Gertjan

Hi Pravin, 

at the bottom of the link Gertjan mentioned (https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100031905) is a link to the Install Instructions for the CHF. The process is described there very good

10 REPLIES 10

GertjanA

Hello Pravin,

Exactly which CHF are you on?

There was an issue with indexing up to CHF3. If you go to CHF5 first, that might already assist. I'll check to see if I can find the KB. What you will see in the console is 'x number of items waiting indexing', and that will only grow. After applying CHF4 (or better yet 5), the number should start dropping again.

EDIT - found it : CHF5_readme

Look at Etrack 3775557: Items on the storage queue could cause an indexing backlog to occur

I've had that in 2 environments. After applying the CHF5, indexing backlog was processed.

Regards. Gertjan

Massimo_Vagli
Level 4

Hello Pravin, 

It is difficult to help you in the troubleshooting, especially if I don't have a clear understanding of the issue.

You said that indexing is not starting; I am not sure if you are referring to the indexing service not starting or to the indexing engine not catching up with the backlog of items to be indexed.

You might have a look at this technote https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100037911 about the Enterprise Vault indexing engine reinstallation (reset) to check if after that you will have it working.

Regards, 

Massimo Vagli

Hi Massimo

There is huge backlog pending to index arround 7 digit (cr). i am not able to start that services its failing down also user facing archive mail missing issue.

in next reply i will share screen shot with you.

Regards,

Pravin Goud

Enterprise Vault Admin

Hi Gertjan

Its on CHF3 so what should i do next. i will try to clear storage que again and i would run SQL maintenance plan.is there any way that can recover all user missing mail? beacuse now client dont want to use that old Enterprise Vault Server 11.1. so i suggested them to implement a new EV enviourment then we will migrate that all old ev user to new enviourment.according to plan i made new EV server 12.1 and tested few users.we are exporting users pst from Old Ev server and Migrating his/her Pst on New EV 12.1 server. but that time users all mail not getting in pst few are missing. exporting process on old enterporise vault 11.1 taking huge time (2-3days per user)to export users pst.that old server using 1gb bandwidth on network and using SAS storage.which is impacting on exporting process. is there any solution gertjan which can gain exporting process. 

Regards,

Pravin Goud

Enterprise Vault Admin

GertjanA

Hello Pravin.

There is no missing mail! There is only 'not indexed' mail. Not indexed = cannot be found by user. Browsing Archive Explorer should show mails.

What you need to do is to apply CHF5 as soon as possible. when you have that, you system is going to be hammered for a while (due to the indexing backlog), but it WILL catch up, trust me :)

I've been there! We used 11.0.1.CHF3 also, and had an indexing backlog of 116 million items... As soon as we applied CHF5, the backlog dropped to 0 in 9 days....

Again, apply CHF5. Tell your customer it is a known issue, and is resolved by CHF5.

Regards. Gertjan

Hi Gertjan,

Thanks,

Can You please share any tech article or best practices step to apply CHF5??

Regards,

Pravin Goud

Enterprise Vault Admin

GertjanA

Hello Pravin,

11.0.1CHF5

This has the installation instruction. Very highlevel:

Set tasks in report mode, restart. Wait for MSMQ/Storagequeue to empty. Set backup mode on indexes and stores. Backup database. Upgrade DA (and/or CA) first. Then upgrade EV. Clear backup mode, clear report mode from tasks, restart tasks.

If you have multiple EV servers, upgrade 1 first. That allows for upgrading databases etc. when succesfull, upgrade other servers.

Regards. Gertjan

Hi Gertjan,

Is there any tech article for this process which i can follow easily

Regards,

Pravin Goud

Enterprise Vault Admin

Hi Pravin, 

at the bottom of the link Gertjan mentioned (https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100031905) is a link to the Install Instructions for the CHF. The process is described there very good

Thanks Jakob and Gertjan,

I will definitely initiate this activity soon :) 

Regards,

Pravin Goud

Enterprise Vault Admin