Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

enterprise vault 9.0.2 with Windows 8 and Outlook 2013

Anna_Bool
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi everybody

According to the last "Enterprise Vault Compatibility Charts" document (updated on October 3, 2013 - pages 52-54) windows 8 and outlook 2013 are not supported as a client for EV 9 exchange archiving.

However, there are many discussions in this very forum that claim the opposite.

I am confused... what am I missing??
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew_S_Jones
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Anna,

With Enterprise Vault we certify the EV Outlook Add-In with the previous and next release of the EV Server.  This means in your case that to use the EV Add-in with Windows 8 and Outlook 2013 the EV Add-In version must be at least 10.0.3 (I would recommend using the latest 10.0.4 version); on the EV Server side the Server version must be at 9.0 or above.

Please keep in mind that some client functions require the EV Server to be upgraded to the 10.0.x stream, and will not work until this is done.  In addition for EV Server versions 9.0 through 9.0.3 a Server Side Hotfix is required for some client operations, these are as follows:

• Hotfix for Symantec Enterprise Vault (EV) for Microsoft Exchange 9.0, Build 1193, Hotfix needed to support 10.0.1 and later Outlook Add-in:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175938
  • Hotfix for Symantec Enterprise Vault (EV) for Microsoft Exchange 9.0.1, Build 1073, Hotfix needed to support 10.0.1 and later Outlook Add-in:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175939
  • Hotfix for Symantec Enterprise Vault (EV) for Microsoft Exchange 9.0.2, Build 1061, Hotfix needed to support 10.0.1 and later Outlook Add-in:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175940
  • Hotfix for Symantec Enterprise Vault (EV) for Microsoft Exchange 9.0.3, Build 1164, Hotfix needed to support 10.0.1 and later Outlook Add-in:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175941
I also came across the following information in the ReadMeFirst document for EV 10.0.4:
Users who upgrade to Outlook 2013 must first upgrade to the 10.0.3 or later version of the Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-In to ensure that the Virtual Vault feature continues to work correctly. The following issues arise after an upgrade to Outlook 2013 if the Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-In has not been upgraded beforehand:

Outlook stops responding when you open the Vault Cache Properties dialog box from Outlook Backstage View and then click the Virtual Vault tab.
The following error message appears when you try to open your Virtual Vault:

Cannot expand the folder. The set of folders cannot be opened. An unexpected error has occurred.
MAPI was unable to load the information service [name of message store].DLL. Be sure the service
is correctly installed and configured.
Users who experience these issues can resolve them by uninstalling the Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-In and then installing the 10.0.3 or later version.

This means that if users already have an Outlook 2010 (or earlier) version installed with a preious version of the EV Outlook Add-In the Add-In needs to be updated to 10.0.3 or above first, then Outlook can be upgraded to 2013.  If Outlook is upgraded first then the EV Outlook Add-In must be uninstalled then the 10.0.3 or above Add-In installed.

I hope this clears up your quesiton, and provides you with the details needed to ensure a good end user experience.  Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,

Andrew

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Outlook Add-in are +/- one version.

So if you have a 9 server.

You can use a 10.0 client

And that client if it is 10.03 or later can work with Outlook 2013, on Windows 8

Working for cloudficient.com

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Anna,

With Enterprise Vault 9 on your server, you can't target an Exchange 2013 system, but at the client level, you can install the Enterprise Vault Outlook add-in 10.0.3 or later. It will work with Windows 8 and Outlook 2013 while you are running Enterprise Vault 9 on your server.

Of course, if you are already using Win8 with Outlook 2013, I'd suggest to upgrade to Enterprise Vault 10.0.x as well on the server side.

I hope this helps.

Anna_Bool
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Capture.PNGi hope you dont mind..

Here is a PS from the Copmatibility Charts... 

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6

What you reffering is client OS compatiblity with EV extension, so EV 9 extension are not supported with win 8 + OL 2013 & You should have EV 10.0 SP4 or later extension, In addition to this If you have EV 10.0.x client extension then server can have 9.0.X  Binaries (Refer page no 10 "Enterprise Vault Server support for Add-Ins").

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Precisely what I was getting at in my first post.  The extensions are (so far) independent of the exact server version, +1 or -1 to the server holds.

Andrew_S_Jones
Level 4

Hello Anna,

Have any of the replies cleared up your question?  If one has, please look to mark it as the 'solution'  Otherwise I can go into a more detailed explanation.

Anna_Bool
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Just to be sure - if we want to install 10.0.3 outlook add-in , does the server binaries has to be at least 9.0.3?

Anna_Bool
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I suppose by "EV extension" you mean the Outlook add-in?

Andrew_S_Jones
Level 4

Hi Anna,

With Enterprise Vault we certify the EV Outlook Add-In with the previous and next release of the EV Server.  This means in your case that to use the EV Add-in with Windows 8 and Outlook 2013 the EV Add-In version must be at least 10.0.3 (I would recommend using the latest 10.0.4 version); on the EV Server side the Server version must be at 9.0 or above.

Please keep in mind that some client functions require the EV Server to be upgraded to the 10.0.x stream, and will not work until this is done.  In addition for EV Server versions 9.0 through 9.0.3 a Server Side Hotfix is required for some client operations, these are as follows:

• Hotfix for Symantec Enterprise Vault (EV) for Microsoft Exchange 9.0, Build 1193, Hotfix needed to support 10.0.1 and later Outlook Add-in:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175938
  • Hotfix for Symantec Enterprise Vault (EV) for Microsoft Exchange 9.0.1, Build 1073, Hotfix needed to support 10.0.1 and later Outlook Add-in:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175939
  • Hotfix for Symantec Enterprise Vault (EV) for Microsoft Exchange 9.0.2, Build 1061, Hotfix needed to support 10.0.1 and later Outlook Add-in:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175940
  • Hotfix for Symantec Enterprise Vault (EV) for Microsoft Exchange 9.0.3, Build 1164, Hotfix needed to support 10.0.1 and later Outlook Add-in:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175941
I also came across the following information in the ReadMeFirst document for EV 10.0.4:
Users who upgrade to Outlook 2013 must first upgrade to the 10.0.3 or later version of the Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-In to ensure that the Virtual Vault feature continues to work correctly. The following issues arise after an upgrade to Outlook 2013 if the Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-In has not been upgraded beforehand:

Outlook stops responding when you open the Vault Cache Properties dialog box from Outlook Backstage View and then click the Virtual Vault tab.
The following error message appears when you try to open your Virtual Vault:

Cannot expand the folder. The set of folders cannot be opened. An unexpected error has occurred.
MAPI was unable to load the information service [name of message store].DLL. Be sure the service
is correctly installed and configured.
Users who experience these issues can resolve them by uninstalling the Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-In and then installing the 10.0.3 or later version.

This means that if users already have an Outlook 2010 (or earlier) version installed with a preious version of the EV Outlook Add-In the Add-In needs to be updated to 10.0.3 or above first, then Outlook can be upgraded to 2013.  If Outlook is upgraded first then the EV Outlook Add-In must be uninstalled then the 10.0.3 or above Add-In installed.

I hope this clears up your quesiton, and provides you with the details needed to ensure a good end user experience.  Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,

Andrew

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6

Yes, EV extension mean "EV-Outlook add-in".

Regards

EV-C

Anna_Bool
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Wow!!

could not hope for better explanation and quicker reply.

Andrew, Rob and and EV-Counselor , thank you so much for you time and support!!!

Anna

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Glad to help.