cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ev11.0.1 smtp journal archiving

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Is it correct to say that I can use SMTP Journal archiving to archive items to users individual archives?

Say I have 5000 users in O365 and want an on premise EV archiving solution with an individual archive for each user. I want to O365 to forward all messages to the EV SMTP server and to archive each message into the users individual archive. Is this possible and practical?

Do I need selective journaling for this and if I do will I need to create a target address for all 5000 users?

many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Not too unwieldy, no. The SMTP feature is designed to handle large numbers of targets, and we have customers happily using it with thousands of them. If you try to use the VAC to manage all the targets, you might find it cumbersome, but assuming you get familiar with the various Verb-EVSmtpTarget cmdlets in the EV Management Shell, it shouldn't be too difficult to manage.

--Chris

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

GertjanA

Hello,

This is a good starting point to configure that: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000101391

Be advised that using SMTP archiving of users creates user archives with only an Inbox, and a Send folder.

Regards. Gertjan

ChrisLangevin
Level 6
Employee

CadenL,

Selective journal archiving means the messages in the journal stream are archived only if they meet certain selection criteria (e.g., recipient address, sender address), but they are all placed in the same journal archive.

SMTP mailbox journaling means the messages in the journal stream are examined for the recipient and sender and placed in an individual archive for the user (Inbox if the user was a recipient, Sent Items if the user was the sender).

Based on your description, it sounds like the latter is what you want. Yes, you will need to create an SMTP target for each recipient/archive. For five thousand targets, I would say that the New-EVSMTPTarget EV Management Shell cmdlet is the way to go with that. As a basic example,

$mySiteId = (Get-EVSiteInfo).Identity

# Supposing you have exported a CSV of email addresses and mailbox display names from Exchange
$targetPairs = Import-Csv c:\temp\mailboxExport.csv -Header address,displayname

foreach ($row in $targetPairs)
{
    New-EVSMTPTarget -SiteId $mySiteId `
     -Name $row.address `
     -ArchiveName $row.displayname `
     -SiteId $mySiteId `
     -PolicyName "Name of my SMTP Policy" `
     -RetentionCategory "Name of my Retention Category" `
     -ArchivingEnabled:$true `
     -ArchiveType ExchangeMailbox
}

Hope that helps!

--Chris

CadenL

Hi Chris

Thanks - That's interesting stuff.

So the creation of 5000 smtp target addresses doesn't sound like it'll be too unweildy? I felt it was getting into the realms of being impractical - but would appreciate your view.

Not too unwieldy, no. The SMTP feature is designed to handle large numbers of targets, and we have customers happily using it with thousands of them. If you try to use the VAC to manage all the targets, you might find it cumbersome, but assuming you get familiar with the various Verb-EVSmtpTarget cmdlets in the EV Management Shell, it shouldn't be too difficult to manage.

--Chris