cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

evdesktop.msi and SMS

bjohn
Level 3
We are trying to deploy the lite client evdesktop.msi.

When we use SMS 2003 to deploy it using "evdesktop.msi /quiet" the SMS advertisement installs fine and we get a successfull status message from SMS.

I can see that the 2 .dll's and the help file are installed into c:\program files\kvs\evclient. but I see nothing installed in add/remove programs.

When I try to launch outlook 2003, I get the message "The add-in c:\...valkyrie.dll is not installed or loaded. use repair..."

Any idea how I can sucessfully push out evdesktop.msi using SMS 2003?

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
if you register the valkyrie.dll using regsvr32 does the message go away?

The account the install is running under does have Admin rights on the computers, right?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I really wouldn't recommend using the lite client. Push the full client to a test system and see if you have the same issues.

micah

bjohn
Level 3
Well, unfortunately I'm not the one that decides which user extensions get loaded. Our mailgroup wants to have the "self-installing user extensions loaded" which I believe is evdesktop.msi

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
if you register the valkyrie.dll using regsvr32 does the message go away?

The account the install is running under does have Admin rights on the computers, right?

bjohn
Level 3
Once I manually registered the dll, the error message did go away. but I was only able open up the archived messages half-way (only part of the message showed up)

when I registered the other ev...dll I was able to see the whole message.

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Not to beat a dead horse...but the full client version is an msi, and can be installed in silent mode without user interaction via SMS, etc...

micah

Jason_Szeto
Level 6
Hey Micah,

I'm curious what problems do you keep seeing with the lite client? I've personally think you can have more issues with the full client.

bjohn
Level 3
Sorry, but using which version of the client is beyond me. I'm just part of the SMS group.

Look like the evdesktop.msi installs if you select install as user and the logged on user has admin rights.

Jason_Szeto
Level 6
EVDesktop.msi is the lite client. It's about 1 meg in size. The full client is usually evclient60m.msi or something like that and is usually over 2 megs in size.