cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

evpm import empties/clears mail from PST

psuMickey
Level 2

Hi Experts

New to using EV here, and I'm hoping this is a straight forward q and a.

Running EV 10 and importing PST via EVPM command.  After importing the data to EV we've noticed that the PST files are either partially empty, or mostly empty. So partially empty means that we've noticed a PST with folder that had about 20 message only have 10 after import. And mostly empty means we've noticed PST file that only has a small amount of calendar data, were as before it had say 1000's of messages and the PST file was say 2GB in size.

So my questions

1.  Does the import process delete the mail data as it imports into EV?

2. If so is there a way to turn off (deleting mail from PST during import) or is this by design?

3. If I see mail/calendar items in PST after import does this suggest that it wasnt imported into EV due to a policy restriction or something logical like that?

thanks all!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hiya,

Yes, this is expected

2. If so is there a way to turn off (deleting mail from PST during import) or is this by design?

No, you can't turn it off, it is by design.  If you want the PST intact you will need to make a copy of it.

3. If I see mail/calendar items in PST after import does this suggest that it wasnt imported into EV due to a policy restriction or something logical like that?

It is going to have to do with your message classes you have enabled for archiving.  Have a read of this:

Preparation for PST scripted migration

Article:HOWTO56533  |  Created: 2011-08-01  |  Updated: 2013-01-18  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO56533

HTH,

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TonySterling

Hiya,

Yes, this is expected

No, you can't turn it off, it is by design.  If you want the PST intact you will need to make a copy of it.

It is going to have to do with your message classes you have enabled for archiving.  Have a read of this:

Preparation for PST scripted migration

Article:HOWTO56533  |  Created: 2011-08-01  |  Updated: 2013-01-18  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO56533

HTH,

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As Tony stated, making copies is usually a really good idea, especially if you made a mistake importing the items, and also deleting the items out of the PST isn't necessarily a bad thing either, because then its really easy to see what failed

So for instance if you had a PST file with 10,000 items but it didnt clear them, and three of them failed, well, it might be difficult to find those three items in that PST file, but if everything else has been deleted, you can easily identify which ones failed because they're the only ones left

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

psuMickey
Level 2

Thanks Guys - One more Question

Would that explain why after completing the import the PST file size on disk reports for example 3GB but when you go into OL properties of the PST it reports for example 40MB with only a few calendar items?

TonySterling

the PST will need to be compacted, right now it is full of white space.

For Outlook 2010 the process would be this:
Reduce the size of an Outlook Data File (.pst)

If you delete items from an Outlook Data File (.pst), the file is automatically compacted in the background when you’re not using your computer and Outlook is running. You can also manually start the compact command immediately. It might take several minutes to compact an Outlook Data File (.pst).

Delete any items that you do not want to keep.
Open the Folder List view. At the bottom of the Navigation Pane, click the Folder List icon or press CTRL+6.
In the Navigation Pane, right-click the Deleted Items folder, and then click Empty Folder.
Click the File tab.
Click Account Settings, and then click Account Settings.
On the Data Files tab, click the data file that you want to compact, and then click Settings.
Click Compact Now.
 Note    You do not have to exit Outlook after you compact an Outlook Data File (.pst) file.

For Outlook 2007 it is this process:
Reduce the size of a .pst file

If you delete items from a Personal Folders file (.pst) , the size of the file will not change unless you compact the file. The procedure to compact the data file might take several minutes.

On the File menu, click Data File Management.
Click the data file that you want to compact, and then click Settings.
Click Compact Now.
 Note    You do not have to exit Microsoft Outlook after you compact a .pst file.

psuMickey
Level 2

Thank you again. 

If I may ask another question -

After the import should I expect to see all the mail data deleted any only folder in the PST?  or should I expect to see the folder and the mail data deleted? 

The reason I ask is because I often see a folder structure with empty mail items after import and was wondering for those folders I dont see was the folder missing prior to the import.

thank so much

TonySterling

The folder structure will remain in the PST.