cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exchange litigation hold and Evault 10

dhwrk
Level 2

We are using exchange 2010 and Evault 10

If an account is on litigation hold in Exchange will evault archive all the items held in litigation hold?

Is there a way to migrate all litigation hold items to Evault after the fact?

3 REPLIES 3

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Exchange Litigation Hold does not prevent items from being archived.

Regards. Gertjan

Thanks for the reply, but just to verify are you saying if an account is on Litigation Hold and the mailbox is being archived by Evault, all items in the recoverable folder including the Purges folder is also archived. Can I assume the option to Archive Deleted items must be checked and the criteria that has been setup to archive is also matched. Example archive all items one year or older, so Evault will not archive the items in the Purges folder until they are a year old? 

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Your welcome. See below for a link to an interesting article on that.

You need to set 'archive deleted items' to archive the deleted items folder. The recoverable items folder is (as far as I know) not archived, as that is a 'hidden' folder in the mailbox.

The below article has some information on archive a mailbox if it is on litigation hold. If all your mailboxes are, you might want to make sure you have a lot of diskspace on your Exchange server database location.... See THIS from another discussion.

If you do Journal Archiving, all mail should be in the Journal Archive, and then you would not need litigation hold. If you do need Litigation hold, I would archive the specific mailboxes with a 0-day archiving policy, without creating shortcuts (as indicated on 1 of the 2 links). That way, you have close to everything, without filling up the Exchange database too quick. Be advised though that if you run yoour archiving task once a day (as most do), anything arriving and being hard deleted (shift delete) before the task runs will not be in the archive. If you need to have all mail send/received, you will have to use Journal Archiving (and thus Journaling in Exchange). that is the only way you can be sure you get every mail send/received archived..

Litigation Hold and EV

Regards. Gertjan