cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

few questions on version 8 and the new version 9

OlafD
Level 5
At the moment we have version 7.5 of Enterprise Vault, together with Exchange 2003.
1- What annoys the most of the users is that you can't search in Outlook and EV the same time. This is possible in version 8, as people told me here. One other option, if we don't want to upgrade to version 8(or 9) is to use Windows Desktop Search.

2- With the current version 7.5, it is not possible to search in the Offline Vault and subfolders at once. You have to use the archive explorer and search folder per folder. Of course, you could use WDS again I think? How is this with version 8 and 9. When my laptop is not connected, I am in a plane, can I access and search through my offline vault with one function, including subfolders.

3- With 7.5 (and 8 as well I heard) it is not possible to forward multiple items to a non-EV users, a user out of the organisation. Since the shortcuts are forwarded and the recipient without EV, can ofcourse not access them. Forwarding one item will first retrieve the item. So forwarding one items is no problem. How is this with version 9? Can you forward multiple items to a recipient out of the organisation?

Do you also have any tips, warning s or experiences to share for upgrading from 7.5 to 8 or 9?

Thanks again

Olaf
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
EV8 client will work on a 2007 server (which is what you have, right?) but the Vault Cache will not work and no Offline Vault will be enabled
EV2007 cient will work with EV8, but you won't be able to use Vault Cache/Virtual Vault as they are new client features

as for copernic interop, nope, copernic will not index the DB files, they would have to be renamed to PST files, connected to outlook and then indexed from there
as far as im aware, from a desktop search perspective you can have have WDS/Instant search with EV8 + Vault Cache, or WDS + Offline Vault or the X1 client which is third party software
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Joseph_Rodgers
Level 6
Partner
Olaf,

Searching:  I strongly recommend you take a look at X1 desktop search. (www.x1.com) I am not affiliated with X1 in anway but this product provides simple customizable federated search for uses accross the Enterprise Vault offline vault (v 7.5) or vault cache (v8.0) and the Outlook\file system contents.

It is true that EV 8.0 can be "searched" by the outlook search when virtual vault  is in use and virtual vault is incredible no doubt but the Outlook search is still very limited (it cannot search attachments contents).

You can use WDS with EV 8 the same as with EV 7.5

To my knowledge EV 8.0 does not treat forwarding shortcuts any different than 7.5  If I select multiple archived items and use the forward option the messages are unarchived and added to a single new message which I can forward to anyone.  The recipients would see the original messages NOT the shortcut.

Upgrade tip:  To use Virtual Vault you will need the 8.0sp3 server AND the 8.0sp3 client.  You can install the 8.0 extensions prior to upgrading the servers.

Check Deepak's upgrade guide for a detailed walkthru:  https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/ev-7-ev-8-upgrade-plan

Regards
Joe

OlafD
Level 5
Thanks Joe, for the detailed answer.
> If I select multiple archived items and use the forward option the messages are unarchived and added to a single new message which I can forward
> to anyone.  The recipients would see the original messages NOT the shortcut.
Hm , well this is not the case in 7.5. If I forward multiple items, they are not unarchived. I remember looking for this on this forum and found this to be a common issue with 7.5. And I thought with 8.0 as well.

Thanks again!

Olaf

Joseph_Rodgers
Level 6
Partner
Olaf,

Can you verify the Outlook advanced setting EV setting  "Forward Original Item" is set to "Original"?

I just tested in my client's environment and in my vm lab and forwarding multiple items worked fine.

EV 8.0 sp2 (client) EV 8.0 sp3 (VM).  The same setting I believe is in 7.5

Regards
Joe

JesusWept3
Level 6
In EV2007 (client) if you attempt to forward multiple archived items, it will result in just the shortcuts being forwarded
if you forward one item, it will retrieve that message and forward the original item

In EV8 (client) if you attempt to forward multiple archived items using the Forward button at the very top menu, it will result in the items being retrieved (not restored) and forwarded as the original message attachments
If you select multiple items and right click and press forward, it will result in the shortcuts being forwarded

if you drag and drop a shortcut into a message to forward it, it will result in the shortcut being forwarded

OlafD
Level 5
Thanks all for the replies. It seems we need to upgrade to version 8 than for the search improvements and forwarding multiple items. The search option also works fine when working offline, so not connnected at all?

Is it possible to only use the EV8 plugin with EV7 and have the above functionality?

Thanks again!

Olaf

OlafD
Level 5
By the way, next to the question whether the EV8 plugin is compatible with EV7 and have the above functionality, I have one more question regarding this subject.

WDS supports Enterprise Vault, but  we also have users here that use Copernic. Does anybody knows whether Copernic supports EV as well? I can't find it does.

Thanks

Olaf

JesusWept3
Level 6
EV8 client will work on a 2007 server (which is what you have, right?) but the Vault Cache will not work and no Offline Vault will be enabled
EV2007 cient will work with EV8, but you won't be able to use Vault Cache/Virtual Vault as they are new client features

as for copernic interop, nope, copernic will not index the DB files, they would have to be renamed to PST files, connected to outlook and then indexed from there
as far as im aware, from a desktop search perspective you can have have WDS/Instant search with EV8 + Vault Cache, or WDS + Offline Vault or the X1 client which is third party software

OlafD
Level 5
Thanks again for the answers.  It seems upgrading to version 8 and the use of WDS is what we need.

Olaf